1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Z Axis stopped rising after bed leveling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David Schlatter, Apr 8, 2016.

1. David Schlatter

David Schlatter New Member

I have had this printer for a while no and I started having leveling problems then after I sorted that out I shut it down for the night. The next day after going through the leveling cycle when it moves to the print area it doesn't raise off the bed and I cant print the first layer. What could be wrong?

2. Trama

Trama Member

What software are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. David Schlatter

David Schlatter New Member

MaterControl 1.4 I had tried 1.5 but that is when everything went south. So back to 1.4

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like the initial Z offset might not be set correctly.
    I don't know where you set that in MC.

5. Trama

Trama Member

I had the same issue with 1.5. If you go back to 1.4 without uninstalling all the x86 files and do a clean install it corrupts the older files because they share the same pref folder. Getting 1.5 to work is easy(as long as you download it from Robo's website).

In settings/printer/features. Turn off has hardware leveling and then go to options and set up the software level (it does the paper level which is the important part). Once you do the paper level you can turn on has hardware leveling and that should solve the problem. I was back and forth with matterhackers support for a bit before they found the bug. For whatever reason it needs the values from the paper leveling in order for the Robo hardware leveling to work properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Bruce Jenkins

Bruce Jenkins Member

Can you explain most about the paper leveling? I've tried to search on the forum but can't seem to find how its done.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Bruce. Paper leveling is lowering the nozzle to the bed until a piece of paper just fits between the nozzle and the bed. Turn off printer.

Step 2 slide the carriage across the bed using the piece of paper as a measuring tool. If one size is higher you (ex. The left is higher than the right) you would hold the good threaded rod (right in this example) and turn the left threaded rod. You'll repeat across the bed back and forth until it all feels the same.

8. Bruce Jenkins

Bruce Jenkins Member

Thanks for your quick response. Funny how many times things are repeated in forums because search doesn't work well.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just add this to your google search:

site:community.robo3d.com

Geof likes this.
  10. 3D Printer Man

Try to use a different software like cura.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Paper leveling is most important to the Robo for getting the X axis 'close'. Prior to auto-leveling this was the normal start for manual bed leveling (you got a lot more detailed and had to cover the entire bed in that case).

This matters since the algorithm that the Marlin firmware is using for ABL is not perfect. Not bad :) but not perfect. Other alternatives (like MESH leveling) do a better overall job, but are not fully supported in the official Robo firmware versions.

If you get the X close with paper leveling you will find that the rest of the bed leveling will work nicely.

Geof likes this.