1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Fans; Single or dual, shroud or no shroud

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Captain McGillacutty, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Captain McGillacutty

I followed a couple videos before receiving my Robo R1+. I went with the dual 40 by 20 fans and ran into failure. I downgraded to single and adjusted my power to the fan. If I set it to 100 the nozzle temp crashes, I have seen this be successful and create outstanding bridging capabilities.
    I am printing the final parts for my teardown and rewire of the machine for the E3D V6 and XXL screen, and I am slicing with Cura.
    I have read that dual fans without the shroud works wonders though most use shrouds. What have you guys tried and tested?

2. DjAnnexAlpha

DjAnnexAlpha Member

Hm, I haven't gotten to the point of using shrouds yet. Will be taking that up once I finish the enclosure for my printer.

3. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

@Captain McGillacutty if your nozzle is crashing, it is because the fan is pointed at too much of the nozzle, you want the fan shrouds point before and after the nozzle, not at or above the nozzle.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I run 2 fans with shrouds. No issues yet :)

Edit :40x10mm fans

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Lately i've heard that one fan pointed generally at the print cooling the area and another fan ducted to cool the filament as it leaves the nozzle is most efficient at print quality improvements

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is about how mine is I think as well @Mike Kelly

Attached Files:

Mike Kelly likes this.
  7. cdsl810

cdsl810 Member

I am getting FANtastic (yes, pun intended) results with this configuration. I slightly changed the angle of the rear enclosure to aim only on the part, and the front enclosure hits the filament right at the point of contact with the layer. I think it looks kinda cool too.

Attached Files:

#7 cdsl810, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Mike Kelly and Geof like this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Cool set up! Looks nice! Mind sharing some result photos of print quality ?

9. cdsl810

cdsl810 Member

Let me whip up a couple fresh prints (good thing I don't live in Bel Air)...

Actually, the fan shrouds were done using this setup. I had 2 prototypes running before I printed the final blue ones. I will work on a couple examples to add.

#9 cdsl810, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  10. cdsl810

cdsl810 Member

OK. I had to print this to use in the latest project. Nothing too exciting, but it illustrates the finish that is possible with spot-on cooling. The material is cheap Inland PETG ($14.99/spool). The dual cooler setup makes this nearly flawless. 245 nozzle/80 bed (with tweaks for the first few layers. Layer height = 0.25mm. I have the fans OFF for the first layer, and then automatically set to apply gentle to full cooling based on print speed and function. For instance, when the print speed drops below a threshold the fans start at 10% power and ramp up as the print speed slows. Also, the fans will deliver 100% power for bridging and overhangs. This setup just plain works for me--especially printing finicky filament types like the PETs, nylon, etc. I will post pictures of some more detailed work soon.

Attached Files:

#10 cdsl810, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks very nice ! Congrats !

12. jacob sayegh

jacob sayegh New Member

I was wondering if anyone could explain in more detail how to install dual fans to a Stock R1+. I have no experience with electronics and while I have the basic skills necessary to actually do it I'm unsure how to wire the fans in.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi jacob. I did it the easy way by making a y connector with jst connectors found on Amazon. Then it's all plug and play. If that's the route you want to go direct message me or start a new thread and I'll help you out. You will need a soldering iron, solder, heat shrink tubing and the just connectors (I think all of these tools and parts will be well under 40.00

Mike Kelly likes this.
  14. Captain McGillacutty

15. Captain McGillacutty

Make sure you use shrink tube as well, to make it easier with tiny wires you could make hooks in all three red or black, hook together then GENTLY twist, solder and wrap.

16. mjensen2k

mjensen2k New Member

Quick questions... Are fans the same for the R1 and R1+? I have a new plus and am not sure if the stl files I find are appropriate...

Secondly, cdsl, can you point me to stl files? Is that an acceptable question?

Thanks!

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Fans are 40x40mm fans. I believe they are the same

18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All of the parts fans are 40mm

19. mjensen2k

mjensen2k New Member

I have advanced in my dual-fan-shroud journey and have more questions!

I bought a couple quiet 40x10mm fans at Frys and sure they were quiet, but they hardly moved any air! I bought a couple others from Amazon and they definitely move air now.

I'm using the adjustable low profile robo3d fan shroud system from thingiverse here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:431160

I have it adjusted as far down as I can before they interfere with the print and if I run both fans at 100% the head temp will crash. I can run them at 65% and it'll be ok.

This seems like a decent alternative or perhaps the ducts should be shaped differently to keep it away from the head? I just don't can't see how precise you are getting with the aiming!

Do you have suggested alternative ducts to try?

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Is this form the hexagon hotend ?