1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D v6 Information, Installation Guides, and Review

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Mike Kelly, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffrey Wheeless

has anyone else's mattercontrol stopped working? I finished my upgrades yesterday to the new hotend and was able to print some stuff fine (with the software), but because of the temperature issue i was having where i was getting hugely false readings I updated the firmware (I had originally skipped that part). Now my mattercontrol application wont launch and there isn't any debugging option available for it.

in case its relevant the false readings i was talking about can be described as such: when the printer is booted the software will show the head roughly 160 degrees hotter than the bed and at that temperature it cannot extrude any material. If i set the heat to lets say 350, the temperature doesn't change on the display but there is an audible difference and the filament does extrude. Weird huh? Everything is wired correctly and it has worked the exact same with 5 different thermistors.

2. aliedholm

aliedholm New Member

I am about to install the 1.75mm direct drive v6 in my R1+. Do the same things apply to drilling out the wades extruder to run the PTFE tube up the hobbed bolt? And are there any carriage differences that will require any different parts from what is mentioned here?

Thanks,
    Andy

3. sandman450

sandman450 New Member

Finally got my E3D V6 Hot end installed and wired in on my Robo 3D V1+. Everything appears to be working except for one issue. Whenever I try to , it is printing up in the air with the Hot End tip about 3-4" off the heated print bed. I installed the stud thermistor so I wouldn't have to change any firmware. How can I get this corrected? Do I need to do the Lead screw Firmware? Totally confused at this point.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

I have spent $80 on hot ends this past month since my warranty has lapsed. The E3dV6 seems to be a natural progression with my problem of clogs, torn thermistors and hot element fails. But it looks quite intimidating to install on a Plus. While I am finding text description on installation, is there a video? Pictures say more than words. This is hopefully a few months down the road as my J head I have now is working fine, but given those things easy failure rates I might have bad words to say about it later tonight. If it lasts me through spring it would give me time to save for one of these.

Is it possible in upcoming models of R1 the E3dV6 is included with it already? It seems anyone after the initial six months is running them and if the unit was an extra $100 it would easily pay for itself with the longevity of the product.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Next models are R2 and while we have no specific details I imagine not.

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I seriously doubt it as most open source printers use the hexagon. Bright side is it gives you an upgrade to look forward to

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

As far as videos I dont know of one but any of us can walk you through it. For the R1+ youll need a new quick release and fan shrouds printed other than that its all hardware

#528 Geof, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  9. thomas49065

thomas49065 New Member

Great write up was able to upgrade my R1+ with very little other references.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. Vibroman

Vibroman New Member

A couple of Dumb questions from a relative newbie...
    Thinking about upgrading my late 2015 Robo3d plus to the E3d V6 hot end. I see a lot of conversation about changing firmware etc. Will that be necessary on the plus or is it just for earlier models? Also my current hot end does not have any ptfe bowden tubing. Is that necessary with the V6 hot end

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. The e3d uses a bowden tube and comes with it. You do need to do a firmware change unless you get the stud thermistor which i hightly recommend. Www.printedsolid.com

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The stud thermistor is the cure for thermistor woes.

Geof likes this.
  13. Vibroman

Vibroman New Member

Does the stud thermistor come with the E3D kit or is that an additional item? can I just use the thermistor and heating element from my existing hex?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is an additional item.
    The E3D (like all other hotends) comes with a standard thermistor (a Semitec if memory serves).

The Stud thermistor is so much a better solution if you don't need silly temps (i.e. > 280C*) that I always suggest it.

*if you do then use a thermocouple or the new E3D PT100

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You have to buy it seperate. The e3d comes with a thermistor and its very easy to break.

You can use your heater but of you have a new style robo thermistor in your hexagon (canistor looking) it wont work.

16. 3D Printer Man

Thanks for the info, so what is the best extruder?

17. 3D Printer Man

Thanks, so much.

18. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is for the R1,not the R1+... However, probably would still fit just without the quick release plate.

20. TomerO

TomerO Member

Why without the quick release plate?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.