1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to Clean Extrusion Nozzle

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tim Ouradnik, May 28, 2016.

1. Tim Ouradnik

Tim Ouradnik New Member

Hello,

I have a lot of built up melted / re-solidified filament on my extrusion nozzle that I would like to clean off. Is there a safest product to use that will not harm the nozzle? Rubbing ALcohol and paper towels? Water and paper towels?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. 3D Printer Man

Acetone works if you can figure a safe way to use it, If you use mostly ABS.

3. 3D Printer Man

isopropyl alcoho also works.

4. Tim Ouradnik

Tim Ouradnik New Member

I'm a pretty good mix between ABS and PLA. I'll give isopropyl alcohol and paper towels a go to start. If that doesn't work, I will switch to acetone.

5. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I've used a small wired brush and then clean it with alcohol on a paper towel. I also used to heat it up then use a old rag and just wipe it off (probably not the safest way) but it works. Yeah don't do that last thing unless your older than 40.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol im not 40 but i use a paper towel and wipe off the nozzle before each print. Keeps the gunk from falling in my prints. :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Same approach I use. Just carefully wipe it down (hot).

Geof likes this.
  8. 3D Printer Man

isopropal alcohol is dangerous it is flammable.

9. Chuck Erwin

So is hairspray but that doesn't stop me from using it.

Geof likes this.
  10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

At temp, I use the tweezers to clean of the nozzle. Works fairly well. Another aspect of nozzle cleaning is the internals itself. I use a cleaning filament that I bought from @Printed Solid (found here https://printedsolid.com/products/extruder-cleaning-filament) and use it regularly to ensure that the nozzle stays clear. Great when going from black to white as well for getting the color bits out so it doesn't get dark specs on my prints.

11. Chuck Erwin

How good is the cleaning filament? Does it matter if I had abs in it? I thought about trying but just never got around to it.

12. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I find it to work really well with PLA. Keeps the nozzle extruding great. I haven't used any other filaments yet. I like that it comes in a roll now and not sticks. Keeps the waste down. I just manually extrude 50-100 mm. One roll has lasted a long time.

Chuck Erwin likes this.
  13. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

The cleaning filament is a great general maintenance type thing. It can clear out very minor clogs and does a good job of flushing the nozzle very quickly.
    The other option that works great and is more agressive is a cold pull. Extrude a little bit of filament, let it cool to a bit above the glass temp, but below melting (90 or so usually works pretty well) then yank the filament out. You'll see all the junk that has built up on the inside of your nozzle.

I sell printers to several schools and do servicing on them from time to time. I do a cleaning filament, cold pull, seasoning routine that gets things flowing really well.

Chuck Erwin, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  14. Chuck Erwin

I am not sure what you mean by the glass temp?
    How would you do a cold pull on a Robo3d? I like details so I don't do something really stupid.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Chuck Erwin likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Printed Solid and Chuck Erwin like this.
  17. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

If the filament is on the outside of your nozzle that your trying to clean up, take a scrap print while the nozzle is hot, shove it onto the nozzle so the nozzle melts into the scrap print. then pull the scrap print off. it will pull most all the crap off your nozzle with it.

As for cleaning the inside. I run the ESun cleaning filament through when I change material types. and when they get real bad I'm too lazy to torch or acetone them so I just put a new nozzle on and printed solid takes my money lol.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  18. Tim Ouradnik

Tim Ouradnik New Member

Great discussion! Going to have to attempt to combine them all... Alcohol, wire brush, old rag, and cleaning filament. That should do the trick.

Chuck Erwin likes this.