1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Great new slicer software, Craftware.

Discussion in 'Software' started by AxisLab, Jul 15, 2014.

1. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure a lot will change after their crowd funding printer campaign is over. They are past there goal but still have 20 days left. I wouldn't be surprised if after the bank account fills up, they throw a big chunk of change at this software and have something nice.
    It's one to keep an eye on at least.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

hopefully a migration to MAC OS

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Looked promising on my laptop. Then I tried it on my printer PC - crashes into oblivion probably because of some difference in video drivers/settings.

Needs more work - lotsa more work.

4. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Craftware certainly could use some more work, but it is powerful as it stands. One big item that seems to be missing (I cant find it) is the retraction settings...the Gcode pulls what feels like a huge retraction on head move. The supports are much better than MC, as are many of the fill/shell settings.

I did find it pretty easy to just copy/paste in the start and end gCode from MC into Craftware, only mode needed was to replace the [temp] with the actual extruder temperature.

I find it crashes much less frequently if you dont have MC running at the same time. Also WTH is with the "ADD" button not having gcode files, and having to select to open a file from the menu in MC...geez LOL

#24 Mikethinks, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
  5. Rnagp

Rnagp New Member

Hey i've been wanting to try craftware but im new to this software and to the robo 3d printer, could someone share with me the settings used on craftware to print with ABS and PLA

6. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

This is my PLA settings. I change the layer height from anything from .101 to .303 and I sometimes do rafts as well. The supports are a little hard to figure out, but just play with the settings in that section till you find what works for you...and remember you have the manually clear the supports even when you loan a new model...the supports stay...for whatever reason.

Also note I have the infill VERY LOW right now as I was doing a model and just wanted a very small amount of infill. A more reasonable value is 5-10%

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  7. Rnagp

Rnagp New Member

Thanks for sharing i will give 'em a try :)

8. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

Sry i always quote you but you are like the bible here...
    I want to try this slicer before i spend $140 on simplify3d...
    I was reading the thread and i figured it's only a slicer, so i need another program to print. Can i do the "slice thing" in craft and then export something to matter control?

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You certainly can load Sliced (GCODE) models into other programs like Repetier host and have it send them to the printer.
    I can't speak for MAtterCOntrol. I'd will say it SHOULD be able to do that, but I can't say if it can. See if there are menu items for loading GCode somewhere rather than just an STL.

10. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

They just released CraftWare 1.11 beta with many improvements.

Windows version is stable. Not sure about Mac version though.

11. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Craftware isn't bad. There are a ton of different settings you can change on it that I don't believe other slicers have as an option.

12. Scifideity

Scifideity Member

Apologies for raising a necrothread from the dead but I just stumbled across Craftware at the recommendation of Lilykill. I see the config setting screen shots previously posted in the thread. Has anyone messed around with the latest version of Craftware 1.14? I'm guessing just use the Start and End gcode settings as a base and tweak from there.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im sorry i havnt tried it. I dont know of any current members that use it, not that there isnt some, just nobe i talk to regularly

14. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

It's kind of interesting that I just installed it again ( I looked at it many moons ago) because of a youtube channel putting it a very high recommendation. I might get to it this weekend but I am working on a T-Rex model Makerbot released on thingiverse.

I digress I thought it had potential especially on the free side.It actually sliced faster than S3D.

#34 Chuck Erwin, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  15. 3D Printer Man

How do you use this with the robo

hi1 likes this.
  16. Scifideity

Scifideity Member

I'm working on the theory that it's just another slicer and we just need to configure our build volume, printer specs, and put in the Start and End G-Code entries.

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong and seeing issues. My slices go bonkers if I rotate anything. It's never consistent or the same file every time. Definitely bizarre.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 8.58.52 AM.png

No help on their forums yet but I'm hopeful someone may recognize this issue or confirm its a bug on the Mac OS X version.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It really should be that way for any slicer.
    If not then ... yep, you have a bug :)

It is hard to do a different slicer and do it well. The entire concept of how slicers work is painfully 'mathy' ... getting it wrong is easy.

Geof and Scifideity like this.
  18. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

CraftWare Windows version is more stable than OSX and Linux versions.

CraftWare 1.14 beta Windows version should work with Robo 3D. Tony got the older CraftWare version to work with his Robo 3D before.

They still have some bugs with the OSX or Linux version of CraftWare due to OpenGL compatible drivers. Some people may have problem running it with Intel HD chips. They may have better luck with Nvidia video cards.

CraftWare 1.14 beta still does not support dual extrusions yet; however, its gcode viewer can view multi-extrusions gcodes generated by other slicers. They plan to work on the slicing engine next.

19. 3D Printer Man

I think we should anyways use Cura, Simplify3D, Mattercontrol, Repetier Host. This is what they recommend. I think it is build for their printers, I took a look at it.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No. Robo does not do software nor have any specifically written for it.
    MatterControl has a predefined profile for the Robo as does Simplify3D.

Other than that there is nothing Robo3D specific about any of the slicers.