1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

thoughts on a trade section?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Geof, May 31, 2016.

?

Members trade area ?

1. Good idea (why in a post below)

2. Bad idea (why in a post below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

hey guys! Lots of posts regarding sales of print equipment, filament etc. How many people would be interested in trying to setup a members trade section? Obviously this would have to go through Harry not us but curiosity has the best of me. Lets hear what you all think!

I think its a cool idea- parts, filament, nozzles, hotends you didn't like or need, etc would be kind of neat to try to trade off or what have ya (obviously at your own risk and you'd want to have trust in that member like I do with many members here).

Cant wait to hear what you think!

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I've been a member of several automotive forums over the years and they all seem to have a Buy/Sell/Trade/Wanted under a Classifieds section that allows users to post a thread of things they are trying to sell off or what they might be looking for. I know we all have spare parts and things that if someone is in need of it could be a way to organize those types of requests. Obviously it wouldn't be anything affiliated with Robo and all sales are to be resolved by the two parties. I've bought several automotive parts this way. Could even be threads people start pointing to a craigslist, ebay, amazon, or similar site where their item is posted for sale. Just gets the word out. Robo has been out for a few years now and there are going to be a lot of parts or whole printers that could be put up on the site for others.

Another thought, I have seen times when forum members have something break that if they had a second 3d printer they could print and be back up and running. For those without a spare printer, maybe have a way to post a need for a new part to be printed for their Robo. Not a printing service, just a way to get a part out to a member in need to get them going again. If it isn't the right color or material or whatever, then they would at least be able to print out another they way they want it.

Just some thoughts to help support the forum.

Ryan TeGantvoort and Geof like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That will need @Harry to implement, but I agree it is a jolly good idea.

Geof likes this.
  4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Bad idea.

Ebay exists and the last thing these forums need is an avenue for even more bad posting when someone buys a broken printer or gets ripped off.

Also, no way is Robo3D as a company going to permit users to resell on these forums.

Too much liability for Robo if they give permission.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I like it. Thats a great idea.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am guilty of shipping of parts like that :)
    Sometimes bad stuff happens and I am (un?) lucky enough to have more than one (more than two now) printer so it is usually not a hassle for me to queue something up.

It is a good idea.

Ryan TeGantvoort and Geof like this.
  7. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Guys, let me bring this in on a team discussion at HQ and see their thoughts. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the great idea (in my opinion) though!
    - Harry

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Harry, excited to see what happens!

#8 Geof, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  9. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Trading NO, no way . never Trading on forums is a recipe for bullshit disasters and people not satisfied.

a Classifieds/For Sale MAYBE, but there would need to be a crapload of rules and regulations.

I would take my chances with some of the folks here over ebay. But realize that if I got burned i got burned..and there is nothing that could be done.

Geof likes this.
  10. daniel871

The only way it would work is the way that changes nothing as far as these forums are concerned.

Create your ebay listing, then post an announcement in the Off-topic section with a link, then move on because there is nothing to see.

The threads we have so far where people get frustrated because nobody makes a serious offer (because there is no listing on a legitimate sales site) are 100% due to people not using an actual legitimate sales site.

Creating a special sub-forum will accomplish nothing to solve this.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Other than as a way to centralize equipment for sale,no.
    It would be handy in that regard however (more so if the threads could be marked as CLOSED like the troubleshooting one).

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

13. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I like the idea of being able to have someone print off a part for me if I am in a bind and can't scab the printer together to get a print going. But I feel Robo is going to frown upon this because wouldn't it make more sense for them to just sell the parts in their store. For instance, they would need to figure out the problem parts and put them for sale in their store instead.

Or perhaps Robo would be willing to hire a handful of people to print these parts and possibly regulate the Classified section?

How would you pay for something that someone else prints for you? I guess Paypal could work unless you are printing these parts for free? I see a lot of issues/problems arising with this though. What if the part, that I just had someone print for me, doesn't fit? Or if it breaks? As long as the part lasts long enough for me to print one.

A simple Classified seems legit but what will be eligible to be posted? Whole printers? Original Parts (not sure what this would be maybe gears, hotends, beds or boards)? Upgraded parts (like if I got a newer LCD and didn't have a use of current one)? How would you regulate the authenticity of all the parts though? You may say its a new nozzle but how do I know? Your LCD may have worked before but does it now? Pictures are great but how do I know I'm getting that one?

A lot of questions will need to be answered before anything like this will happen, I have a feeling.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I personally like the idea of printing it just to help someone out. Especially in a user based community like this one. I'd rather help someone in a jam with 20¢ worth of filament then demand a payment :). The trade section .... At your own risk but there are members here I'd trust enough to do that with. And if I got burned then pretty easy to say no the next time :)

I appreciate everyone's feedback! I think it's great hearing what everyone thinks and feels(regardless of pro or con) so thank you to everyone!

15. daniel871

3dHubs and Shapeways exist. We don't need a unique part printing request section.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I understand what your saying but if another member was in need of a part it would be easy for me with 3 printers to print them one out without them getting charged for it. A nice potential benefit for us robo users.

Thats all :)

danzca6 likes this.
  17. daniel871

A benefit that will be there regardless of whether a specific forum section exists or not.

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member