1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered I need connections

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David Lockwood, Jun 3, 2016.

1. David Lockwood

Let's say some nimrod disconnected all four leads into the print head (thermistor, heat core, print fan & bed fan) without marking what goes where. Now suppose said nimrod then tries to do a trace on the leads via resistance check with a VOM meter yet cannot find the thermistor connection after looking at a RAMPS 1.4 pin out. How would you mavens of all things 3D proceed?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

A picture of what (is disconnected) and where(you think it should go) would help.
    I assume you mean the quick disconnects down by the hotend, but maybe you mean at the ramps board?

3. David Lockwood

Mark,
    Your assumption is correct. The quick connects at the print head are the culprits. I assume the connector with the heaviest gauge wire coming out of the loom is for the heater core. That leaves three mystery connectors.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One is certainly the heater core (the heavy gauge)
    One would be the thermistor.
    One would (probably) be the fan*.

*I say probably because I don't have an R1+ to look at.

@Geof that match your hardware?

TomerO likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The one that is thinner gauge and reads about 100kohms is the thermistor :)
    Last one might be the fan.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes thats correct. Ity bitty wires are thermistor. Looks like 12 or 14 guage wires are heater. The fan look to be in between the two... i did it too lol. The way i figured it out...hotend fan runs with power 12 v ish dc. Thats the only one with power on start up. Then i hooked up the heater to the largest wires....heater wires are bigger than the rest.

Then the smallest wires that look like they might break when you touch them are your thermistor. If in question turn on your cooling fan and look for voltage...12v ish lol or just plug it in. If it spins turn off the cooling fans. If it stops running your good. :)

7. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I made this exact same mistake when I installed my dual fans! For me it was just Trial and Error to get them all mated again. The Heater was obvious as others have stated. My small wires are actually for the Extruder Fan though. For the rest, I just plugged them in and then tried to turn my fans on. Process of Elimination and I had everything working again!

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Why does no one label their connection before taking them apart :eek::D

9. maxhebus

maxhebus Member

Or just take few pictures with their phone. :)

10. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Lol I do, but the fans are different from the thermistor connector, fans are locking black jst plugs. thermistor is regular JST and Red I think.

I honestly cant remember what was on the heater core because I dont have connectors on that one anymore. but I think it was the black locking kind, but the wires are way thicker and have some kinda fiber insulation deal on them...so they look different from the fans.

I did stick a peice of tape on the parts fan wire so I could tell it from the hotend cooling fan.

EDIT: OOps sorry, looks like the R1+ has the same black locking connectors for everything. My R1 has a regular red connector for the thermistor.

The heater one should be obvious, the two fans you might get backwards lol.

Not sure exactly what the thermistor one is without dissasembling mine.

#10 KTMDirtFace, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016