1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Building a new PC so had to mod some parts.

Discussion in 'Projects' started by WheresWaldo, May 9, 2016.

1. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Saw that new AMD announce today. thats a good price for what is i'm guessing somewhere around a GTX 970? Nice price for a VR card.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Actually close to a 980 in performance at a price that is less than some 960's. At least that is what the initial benchmarks show. Still not what I am looking for. I am going to wait until the end of the year for a new card. By then the VEGA GPU will be out and we should have 1080Ti performance priced below the 1080.

Going to use a R9 390 until then.

3. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

No workstation graphics ? Im using the AMD Firepro V7900 workstation and it was a major upgrade in 3d cad performance .

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

No need to spend that kind of money for a home PC. Besides I also play games here (some not much). My renderings are only from Fusion 360 and usually single part models. My picture editing is in Lightroom. My video editing is usually from whatever application comes from the camera manufacturer. ANy video card can stream from Netflix, Hulu or any of the other services.

The R9 390 I currently have is enough until VEGA chip RX cards are released at the end of the year.

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  5. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I used to have a Nvidia Quaddro? workstation card at work it was like $3000... utter pile of shit. Couldn't play games to save its life and I don't 3d model all day I'm a programmer lol. .. Work got a deal on them for way cheaper than that and equipped everyone..even though I woulda rather had a normal gaming card. since I don't Maya or 3dsmax often. Have a 980 at work now..works great.

6. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

I just got Fusion 360 to check out .It looks really good actually and is very cheap . Still got some learning to do but looks promising .Very similar to Solidworks. I normally use Solidworks 2016 so workstation graphics is important.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@WADZOQUADZ Really cheap! That is an understatement if I ever heard one. It is free to use if you are a student or hobbyist and is also free to use if you are an entrepreneurial business that makes less than $100,000 per year.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So who knew modeling and modding PC case parts with a 3D printer could be an asset? Yesterday I had a 45 minute call with CMI's Marketing guys. That is Cooler Master's US subsidiary. They liked the models I made of their MasterCase 5 Pro case parts and want to work together on some projects. They will be sending me a MasterCase Maker 5 next week to see what I can do with it.

Chuck Erwin, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just a quick update on my PC build. Obviously I am using the PC now, but still modifying a few parts. Here are a couple of images.

[​IMG]
    The case badge here is actually printed by Shapeways in a product commonly referred to as Alumide, it is Nylon powder with a percentage of aluminum dust added. The aluminum dust adds sparkle which is not quite evident in the picture.

[​IMG]
    This image shows a couple of things. First are the wire combs. Those are printed with eSUN Translucent Orange PETG. A whole set of combs probably took about an hour to print at a cost of less than $1.00. Also in this image is a parts box, sized a bit longer and taller that a 3.5" HDD but with holes where mounting screws would go. The holes allow for the tool-less caddy to be used to secure the box in the case. The badge on the box is printed with eSun's Stainless Steel filled filament. There is a marked difference in the amount of metal in the filament vs. Alumide. The Shapeways product has a visibly higher level of metal fill than any of the metal filled filaments I have used (Copper and Stainless). The parts box and lid are printed with eSun Solid Black PETG.

I sent a couple of parts to Cooler Master, at their request, and they installed them on a case they had.
    [​IMG]
    Here the Cooler Master guys have used my two slide lock inserts. the top one was printed on the Robo3D in eSun PETG, the bottom in Strong & Flexible Polished Orange by Shapeways. I sent them these as I have replaced them in my case with ones printed in Alumide to better coordinate with the steel gray custom (by me) sheathed power cables.

One last note, the cases here while structurally identical have a few cosmetic differences. I have a Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro, they installed the parts in a Maker 5 case. The Maker case is a small update to the Pro case. The Pro case is the best value in their current lineup.

#29 WheresWaldo, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    KTMDirtFace, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Awesome job waldo! Sounds like you might have a production run to do ! :)

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just got one of the better upgrades to my CAD PC. I have had a RatPadz hard mouse pad for about 15 years. As the plastic leached out all the remaining plasticizers it developed a warp. So I have been in the market for a new mouse pad. With the upgrade to a 4K monitor you really need a mouse that accelerates well as well as a mousepad that has very little friction to glide from side to side. I tried the Corsair CM-200 and it is ok, the top is nice and smooth and the mouse glides easily, but the edges are sharp and since I rest my wrist on the desk it digs in a bit and become irritating after a few hours of use.

Cooler-Master sent me a PowerRX mousepad, all I can say is WOW! I don't know why they don't promote it more. It has a slightly grittier feel than the Corsair on the top surface. The rubberized bottom sticks a bit better to the desk than the Corsair, and all the edges are rounded, so no irritation. Moving the mouse in Fusion 360 hasn't been any easier than this.

Glad I got one of these pads. Now I need to work on the new case they sent me.

Still waiting on a GPU, since I game at 4K my only currently viable option is the GTX 1080. It's just that I don't want to spend that kind of money. I could go with two RX480's in Crossfire, but the RX480's sweet spot is really 1080p and maybe 1440p not 2160p. Plus there is the issue with power consumption. So I am still waiting, probably until the end of the year.

#31 WheresWaldo, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016