1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Left z stepper rod not moving, is buzzing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ed Govednik, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Ed Govednik

Ed Govednik New Member

Hey folks, need some help.

I finished an overnight print and noticed at the top of my print a weird banding, but the print completed. When I tried to print something next and go through the nine-point calibration, the left side z rod made a buzzing noise and did not move. The right side of course does so I powered the printer off. I let the left stop float free to see if the z rod screw would turn but no, it just buzzes. Any idea? I can hand-turn it but cannot move it via software.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is usually the stepper driver card (little card on top of the RAMPS, one for each stepper)

4. Ed Govednik

Ed Govednik New Member

OK, so I am hopeful I just have a loose wire. I removed the z rod, spun the motor freely (it does) then traced the wires back to the RAMPS board. I noticed one of the wires was askew on the board so I went and reseated all wiring. Attached the Z rod and powered back up. I'm able to get the z height to move up and down in small steps.

I plan on putting the printer completely back together and trying a test print. Wish me luck!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. DavidTheNerd

DavidTheNerd New Member

Hey so ironically about a hour ago this happened in my y axis just finished submitting the warranty form. So your stepper is defiently fried as your problems are the exact same as mine

7. DavidTheNerd

DavidTheNerd New Member

Ok so saw the rest of you post.... whoops, but I went through the same steps as you but my motor grinds as it moves. So nice job and lucky you!

8. Ed Govednik

Ed Govednik New Member

The printer is assembled and printing first test part. So far so good.

Looks like I could have saved myself a lot of time tearing down the printer, but now I feel super confident working on taking it apart and reassembling most of it. I kept waiting for a shoe to drop and end up wedged, but this thing is really easy to work on. Ironic that I just watched NoviceExpert's youtube video where his friend assembled the Robo3d just yesterday. Thanks for the help.

And, sorry David that you have a bad stepper. Good luck!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is a simple to work on tool, not as complicated as it looks :)
    You did the right thing because eventually you will need to work on it.