1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Robo3D R1+ Parts Warranty & Extruder?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TKCC71, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

Interesting,

I have had my Robo 3DR1+ for 4 months and have a completely jammed/clogged extruder. This time, there is no removing the filament out of the top side. I have used an E string to try and push it out from the bottom up, torch, used a small allen wrench to try and push it down with no success, Unfortunately there's not enough filament to pull it out and is flush at the top hole. I had saved a few times in the last few prints, but it kept clogging up and this time I cant remove the filament.

Since I have had my Robo, I have primed it with every filament roll and even used cleaner filament on occasions so its nothing that I have done wrong.

I was informed that that is not covered under the 6 month parts replacement warranty. I looked under the warranty and don't see where it says its not covered?

Anyways your thoughts. I paid for a new one, but is there anything else I might be able to do to save the extruder I have?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Have you removed the brass nozzle?
    It is replaceable :)
    With that off I can't see how you couldn't manage to clear it.

Some times the nozzles get wonky(dirty on the inner surface really).
    Swapping to a new (cheap) nozzle is the solution there.

Rigmarol likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Any E3D compatible nozzle will fit the (stock) Hexagon extruder.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just be careful -- it needs to be loosened while hot (and tightened while hot).
    Use two wrenches...one to hold the heatblock and the other to turn the nozzle.
    You don't want to stress the heatbreak (the skinny part between the heater block and the heat sink on the extruder).

5. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

It's not stuck in the brass part it's stuck in the top of the silver part. I can put a guitar string in the nozzle all the way up with no issues

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you remove the nozzle it is a straight shot through the extruder. You can heat it with a torch if you desire*.
    I assure you that will remove any clog.
    (Just remove the heater and thermistor before applying extreme heat).

*or bake it in an oven at a decently high temp.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

BTW: You really do not want to scratch or scuff the inside lining of the extruder.
    It may be easier to just replace the hex since it is not as easy to disassemble as the E3D (or other 3rd party ones). They are about $40 on Amazon prime (so free 2 day shipping) -- you can get them a lot of places if you shop around, I don't have a deal with Amazon :)

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am a bit surprised they didn't warrant it.
    I know they don't warrant some parts (like the bed) except for shipping damage.

9. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

I am too, especially since I haven't done anything to cause it. I did order it from them because they have all the wires pre attached

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id call back and ask to speak to someone regarding this issue. They did cover mine so ubless something drastic changed i too am shocked (this was some time ago when they covered mine )

Is your small fan running that blows across the extruder ? Its suprising that its jammed in the cold end

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And he means the small fan ATTACHED to the side of the extruder.
    It really must always be on.

Geof likes this.
  12. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

Thanks Guys,

I did call them back but am a bit disappointed in their response. They told me that they will not replace the extruders now under that warranty unless their is a manufacture problem that is noticed when you first start using the printer. They told me that because I am using the printer its failing because of usage (Even though I only had the printer for 4 months). That basically tells me that they know the extruder is not good and they are selling a garbage extruder and do not stand by the warranty that was advertised and provided on their website. I had even mentioned that the website does not state that it doesn't cover certain parts and their response was that they are working on updating it so it will clarify. Very very disappointing. I guess Im just upset about the principle of it.

About the extruder, the little fan is working good.I guess I will wait for the new extruder to come in and will probably upgrade to a EV3 V6 at some point.

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Im very sorry to hear about them not warranty the extruder. That sucks. I think if it were me id cancel the hex order and go.for the e3d right away.

14. Hi Tim,

This is Kevin from Robo 3D. I'm so sorry that you had this experience. May you please contact me at 844-476-2633 so that we can discuss this matter?

Thank you.

Rigmarol, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  15. Blucross

Blucross New Member

Sorry to hear you're dealing with issues so soon. My Robo R1 is 3 months old and I have had almost every issue or part break down you can think of. So far, their support has been very good to me, and they have warranted any parts we found to be defective without question.

Hopefully Kevin was able to get you sorted out.

16. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I've also had great support and service. I've not had issues with the extruder but a few other defects that Robo made right.
    I hope Kevin takes care of you.

17. I was able to reach him and we have resolved it. Thank you guys, you're all awesome!

18. TKCC71

TKCC71 Member

Yes this resolved. You guys are awesome.

Kevin Robo 3D likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.