1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Overextruded layers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hp0106, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

image.jpeg Hey guys,
    I've run into a problem where some of my layers are bulging or look like the printer overextruded. I have tried using an oiler, high quality filament(for tighter tolerances), and lubricating all of the aluminum rods and leadscrews. Your ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

1) Calibrate the extruder

2) Check that there is no slop in the movement (i.e.a loose belt or a loose drive gear for the belt on the motor shaft)

3. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I will calibrate the extruder and I know the belts are fine but how do I check the drive gears for slop?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is a little harder. The easiest way is to hold the motor shaft and try to move the belt both directions. See if the cog slips any.

Geof likes this.
  5. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

Belts are tight and no slipping on the drive gears. I'm about to calibrate the extruder. Thanks for the help so far.

6. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

Alright I have my new E-steps and I'm ready to put them in. In the video he talks about using gcode commands or recompiling to save the new steps. Could I just use Mattercontrol's EE-prom configuration to update my new steps?

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldnt use eeprom id use the firmware

8. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

You could use EEPROM for now but when you get the magic number I would definitely store it in the Firmware, so it doesn't get lost!

9. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

Alright firmware has been uploaded to the printer. I'm running a test print now. Thanks for the help guys I'll share my results later.

10. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

image.jpeg It seems that the problem is still there but is slightly better. I'm still open to suggestions. Thank you guys so much for your help.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the bulging layers are bulging all the way around then it is still over extruding.
    If they are only bulging on one side then you may have a slip on that that axis (X or Y).
    If it is slip then it almost has to be the drive gear (not the belt) because that is a really small deviation.
    Belt slip is normally larger than that, but if the set screw is not tight on the drive cog that can cause really small defects.

Ryan TeGantvoort and Geof like this.
  12. Ryan TeGantvoort

What material and temps are you using? Is the bulge appearing where its starting a new layer? I would definitely be testing/calibrating on a slightly smaller model!

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Given what we see I don't *think* that can be the case, still...worth asking.

Bingo! That I am 100% in favor of :)
    It looks like it is reproducing often enough that a smaller model can be used to test with.

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  14. 3D Printer Man

15. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

image.jpeg I have printed the calibration cube and it does look much better. I don't think the bulge is from a new layer because of reoccurrences on the same layer. Material is pla and speed is only 30 mm/s.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It does look better, with maybe... maybe a hint of one midway up the right side.
    The defects from a common starting point are pretty obvious... they will all line-up the length of the Z usually. Random start points is a good thing.

That really does look like a small amount of over-extrusion, but much better than what you started with.

17. 3D Printer Man

Try using different resolutions, maybe, if their is an issue maybe z-wobble.

18. Ryan TeGantvoort

Looks like it overshot the closest corner towards the bottom as well. That does look quite a bit better but its also a square, which you could bet getting mixed results going from a cylinder to a square. Just a thought.

It just seems odd to be over-extrusion when it is so random.

Could this have something to do with a partial nozzle clog? Creating inconsistent extrusion?

19. Try printing at 200 degrees and compare the difference if you haven't already.

Also change the cooling time per layer to 17 seconds. That option is under Filament > Cooling > Slow Down If Layer Print Time Is Below ... It won't slow down below 10mm/sec

Last thing you can try printing with a different spool of filament just to rule that out.

20. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

Lots of suggestions to try. Thank you everybody I would never have thought to try any of this on my own. I will try fully clearing the nozzle and see what that does. I will also try different resolutions and temperatures. If none of that works I have a fresh spool on the way to try out and I will post the results after I'm finished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.