1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved PLA raft/first layer not extruding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jes, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Jes

Jes New Member

Hi,

I have an odd problem with my Robo R1+. It used to work but recently it started acting up. I have replaced the nozzle tip but it hasn't fixed this problem. I am using a raft, but it seems to make little difference here. In the images I have attached I tried to print a chess piece.

I first preheat the nozzle, insert filament, and hit the extrude button to verify that it is extruding correctly. Everything is fine.

Then I start printing, the printer is supposed to print a ring around the object first, going around three times. It starts printing, but during the first ring the amount of filament coming out goes down and by the time it gets to the third ring nothing is coming out. Taking out the filament I notice the bolt that is supposed to drive the filament down has started digging into it instead.

If I do a larger printer and press down firmly on the filament it will eventually start extruding again and once it starts gripping onto the filament it prints fine again.

I have been using PET recently tape on my heated bed, not sure if that is related?

Anyone else seen or experienced something similar?

Thanks,
    Jes

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like a partial clog. Try clearing the nozzle and seasoning. You can also tighten the spring screws that hold the filament against the hobbled bolt

3. Jes

Jes New Member

I am pretty sure it's not the nozzle, I replaced it with a brand new one yesterday and it didn't have any impact on this. Once it's running it is running very well, it's only the first layer acting up.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, if this is PLA that sounds exactly like PLA being ... "PLA"

intermittent micro-clogs are a feature. Season it or add an oiler.

5. Jes

Jes New Member

If this is the case, why does it work just fine before I start the print? This is very consistent, it only happens at the start of the print. It's not like it starts acting up in the middle of my prints at all.

What do you mean by seasoning or oiling it?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Seasoning is as easy as dipping the first couple.inches of filament into canola oil and then running it through the hotend.

Its like seasoning a cast iron skillet :)

Cant stress how much i love my oiler :) tons of them found on thingiverse

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is almost certainly specific to PLA. I'd wager other filaments work fine.
    How/when the clogs present is a crap shoot. I had one nozzle that never clogged and another that wouldn't stop... first layer was doomed :)

Seasoning is simple, if it works consider adding an oiler and forgetting about it.

Geof likes this.
  9. TomerO

TomerO Member

To me this looks like your print head is way too close to the bed. I had some prints looking like that because of this

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk