1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Y axis bangs when auto leveling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Shane Simino, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

Hi everyone. Just got my first 3D printer, the Robo 3D plus 1 a couple days ago. Everything is going pretty well except I can't figure out how to stop the distance the bed moves in Y when it does the pre-auto leveling before each print. The nozzle touches the bed in home position, moves about an inch in -Y- and starts touching for the leveling. When it gets to the third position it bangs like the bed is hitting underneath. I looked in the forums and don't see anything. I've tried adjusting the bed size and it does nothing to leveling area. I'm thinking this may have more to do with firmware because I don't see anywhere that I can change leveling distance. Help please. Thanks.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No.
    Something is blocking the bed from travelling.
    Lift the bed plate from the magnets and slide it full stop,end-to-end on the Y and watch what is going on.
    Fix whatever is blocking the travel (probably a loose cable)

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Defianently mechanical issue. Uness you have done something with the firmware its almost never firmware issues

4. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

I checked the travel. It goes all the way until it runs out of travel. The end is just bottoming out on the rail slides. Should it be moving away from the home position the way it does before it starts the auto level? It moves about 1-1.5 inches, then it moves about 6 inches and then the third pass only about 4 " before it hits.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Is the cork on the bottom sagging down and catching a bolt ?

Also try to home all.axis.... does it work normal ?

6. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

Okay, you guys were right. It wasn't going full travel and it was the ribbon cable. It serpentines through that plastic clip. When I tipped up the front of the table it put a little tension on the cable and it would pass. No matter what I do I can't get the cable to stay up, so I took it out of the clip and ran it flat out the back. Problem solved and smooth as glass now. Thanks so much!

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.