1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

reprapdiscount LCD display

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Printed Solid, Jul 26, 2013.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Jimmy Husain From a terminal connected to your printer issue the following M commands:
    Code:
    M502
    M500
    M502 resets you parameters in memory to the factory defaults (what's in your firmware) then M500 saves those settings over the top of what was in EEPROM. EEPROM, if enabled, takes precedence over "firmware" settings.

Jimmy Husain likes this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You need to enable EEProm writing and don't use M565. The two are not the same thing I believe

3. Jimmy Husain

Jimmy Husain Member

Okay here goes.

Im using S3D with the XXL LCD on my Robo Plus. I am using Z-Offset : 0.82. Here is the thing that I can't seem to solve. On my LCD menu, Motion, I can see the Z Offset : -0.82, which is absolutely fine.

Then when I start to print something using the SDCard, on the main screen of the LCD, it says Z Offset : -0.81. NOT -0.82. If I start a print, chances are it will shows -0.81 OR -0.82 on the main screen of the LCD. Then if I print again after that print, it will shows the other value instead.

Its like if it shows -0.81 on this print then it will shows -0.82 on the next then -0.81 again then -0.82 again on the next print. This is all happening with the M565 & withtout the M565 in my startup script.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There is a relationship, although I don't know the exact nature of it between number of steps that are achievable by a combination of the stepper motor steps, stepper driver microsteps and the actual layer height, the number you see on the LCD is rounded and you may be right at that transition. 0.01 mm is really not anything to concern yourself with as the printer just doesn't physically have that level of accuracy.

5. Jimmy Husain

Jimmy Husain Member

The thing is when it shows -0.81 my 1st layer will be very close to the bed, in which not exactly what I wants it to be. Then when it shows -0.82 my 1st layer is all good. This caused me lots of failed prints.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I will repeat 0.01 mm will not make the kind of difference you are seeing. Are you sure the tip of your nozzle is completely clean from all residual plastic before doing the auto-level dance? That alone has a much greater impact than 0.01 mm.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I agree. if -0.81 is failing and -0.82 is not then -0.82 is still wrong (even if it doesn't fail).
    It is 'wagon wheel ruts' at a minimum.

0.01 is too small to go from 'just right' to 'utter failure'.

8. murraypetera

murraypetera New Member

When you say you had to upload the lib, is this a separate command in the IDE than the compile, upload button?
    I have the LCD but only a blank screen. Printer works with MC still.

I have all the details on another chain: http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...-r3-mega2560-r3-raspberry-pi.6213/#post-65100

Thanks

9. Sonny's Robo3D

10. murraypetera

murraypetera New Member

Thanks. It turns out the board had the connectors keyed upside down. Filed off and flipped. Works good now.

You get what you pay for I guess.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. Darkest

Darkest Member

Hello.New at this. I got my Robo R1 Plus yesterday and after i install the ldc and the marlin adruino firmware the lcd worked but when i start a print the bed and extruder started to go to the end of one side and start hitting it. That made the calibration whent off and some pieces even fell apart. After spending some hours reading and looking how to fix it i did it and reinstalled the robo firmware. I enabled the lcd in robo firmware and the lcd worked but did not printed and the home was in middle not to the right. How can i fix this?

12. murraypetera

murraypetera New Member

My limit switch on the left side was set too far in and I had the same issue. I moved the switch a little so the print head screw would hit it. Alternatively you might find a longer screw to accomplish the same results.

13. Darkest

Darkest Member

But the thing is it does not do that when i reinstall stock firmware and leave the lcd out.

14. murraypetera

murraypetera New Member

Look to see if the switch is being hit

15. Ryan Cornmeser

Ryan Cornmeser New Member

After 20 pages of replies and search not giving me an answer easily.

Has anyone put longer cable on the XXL display? I know the directions said not to, but I'd love to move it from where I have it right now.

Also, has anyone else had an issue with the text on the xxl display becoming jumbled up? Happens to me nearly every print.

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

18. cybershipley

cybershipley Member

What do you mean by this? I'm having the same issue?

19. deeph

deeph Member

I have problem with LCD display's offset. I set my offset in S3D at 0.7. Does the offset in LCD display will override the S3D's offset or vise versa?
    Or maybe I have to disconnect USB cable to PC when using LCD display to make a proper offset function?

#379 deeph, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The LCD doesn't actually store any data, everything you see on the LCD is directly read from the Arduino (the printer brains) board's memory. If you have EEPROM enabled those settings override what is set in firmware, if you have Z_Offset set in the startup script of each and every print it overrides either firmware and/or stored EEPROM settings.

mark tomlinson likes this.