1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved M3 Stud Thermistor Question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by cybershipley, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cybershipley

cybershipley Member

Before installing the e3dv6 and stud thermistor I could heat my hot end up to at least 285C, but now I can only go to about 250C. Is there a setting in the firmware that needs changed? I have tried two different thermistors and even changed the heater, but it caps out at around 250C. Hmmmm.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The thermistor should not affect this.
    Worst case the thermistor is only indicating 250c.
    Check MAXTEMP in the firmware, perhaps when you updated it you missed that :)

The default setting is:

#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 250 //robo

Geof likes this.
  3. cybershipley

cybershipley Member

I'll check that as soon as my current print finishes. Thanks.

4. cybershipley

cybershipley Member

#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 290 //robo

is what I get in the firmware, but on my lcd screen, I can go to Control->Temperature->I see a min and max temp of 210 and 250. Even if I try to save the changes, they don't keep, and revert to 210 and 250 when the lcd is turned back on. However I don't see these settings anywhere in the firmware. I'm using the XXL controller, so I shouldn't have to change anything for it.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I had some issues where i never used eeprom but somehow they got saved. Send a m500 and then a m502 through the gcode terminal and it should clear it out so your firmware accepts it, let me know if that works.

6. cybershipley

cybershipley Member

Will do late tonight, as I'm now in the middle of a print. Will that clear out my PID autotune settings?

Geof and Matt....Big thanks in advance for your help. I also have an issue with the bed leveling, but one issue at a time.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont do the PID tuning so I cant answer that one. Mine works well without it so I dont mess with it :D. We can tackle the bed level next, if your up for some reading you can search for "paper level" threads. If we get down to it and its still an issue I'll walk you through shimming the bed :D

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The PID auto tune is in the firmware.
    So, this resets the EEPROM to all of the defaults in the firmware. You should be fine.

Geof likes this.
  9. cybershipley

cybershipley Member

Is this what is happening to me? I did some more digging on another forum thread.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/reprapdiscount-lcd-display.902/page-13

Look at member "deeph" comments on this page. He talked about having to change ultralcd.cpp from 15 to 0. ??????

I was running my current print at 240 and when my fan kicked on (second layer) the temp started to drop. I hurried and turned it off, but the temp wouldn't go up afterward and stayed around 230. I used the lcd to up it to 250, but it will only go to 240. It's like it likes being 10-15 degrees off??? I definitely think this is software. BTW, I'm running octoprint and just using the lcd to monitor and adjust midprint. I am getting the same readings in octoprint too.

#9 cybershipley, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldnt think so. Which controller do you use ? I have an xxl and never have to mess with it to go to temp. The preheat is determined but not operating temp. Maybe octoprint is doing something im not sure ive never used it

11. cybershipley

cybershipley Member

I have the XXL like you. I thought the XXL is just basically a graphic terminal for what's going on with the added ability to change certain things on the fly. I think the ultralcd.cpp has something to do with it like the person in my referenced post said. I'm gonna try to change the 15's in that file under HEATER_0_MAXTEMP -15 to -0 after I finish this print to see if it fixes the problem. It's soooooo weird. I can always reflash if it doesn't work. I really like the idea of being able to use both the LCD and octoprint, and will be bummed if I can't.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You defianently can and many users do. Did you send the m500 and m502 ? Still doesnt work?

You are talking the printing temp not the preheat temp right ?

13. cybershipley

cybershipley Member

As far as the preheat temp, when I had it at 260, it would only get to 250 so I couldn't even start a print.

I scaled the starting temp back to 240 so that it would heat and print, but the temperature started free falling after the fan clicked on for the 2nd layer (I quickly turned the fan off before I got a MINTEMP error - I may have the fan positioned incorrectly but will worry about that later). The temp wouldn't rebound, so I then tried to use the LCD to bring the temp back up (couldn't do that in octoprint), as it wasn't doing it on it's own. I changed the temp to 250 on the LCD and the temp rose 10 degrees so now it hovers between 235-240 / 250. Frustrating. I'm just glad I print in PETG, as it is pretty forgiving with temperature and cooling. I really don't think it's a thermistor or heater issue (changed both last night) and what I'm experiencing is very consistent and the same issue as before I changed the heater and thermistor.

I am going to try the M codes you mentioned and try the firmware reflash by modding the ultralcd.cpp file after this print finishes. The print is already over two hours into it, so I'd hate to stop it now. I'll let you know after it ends, as I'll try both things before I turn in for the night.

Once again, thanks a bunch.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No worries on the wait but only change one thing at a time :) if you change more you wont know the fix. The preheat temp on the controller is defined in the firmware and can be adjusted to whatever temp you use on the lcd. For example my preheat temp for pla was 210 so when i clicked print it would be a slow crawl down to 190 so i changed it to 190.

But either way when you preheat whatever your slicer setting set it at for the gcode should take over right before printing regardless of tge preheat temp on the controller. Im hoping this makes sense :)

15. cybershipley

cybershipley Member

M500 and M502 didn't seem to work. LCD still shows Min as 210 and Max as 250 after reboot. Gonna mess with the .ccp file tomorrow.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is very interesting. Keep us posted on what happens.

17. cybershipley

cybershipley Member

The only thing I fixed was the ability to up my max temp on the LCD by changing the values in the firmware lcd ccp.

I can get within 10 degrees of what my temp should be, but no closer. If I up my temp, the temp will go up but still stay 15-10 degrees from what it is supposed to be. Now I can't even get a print because of this. I'm gonna try one more thermistor and one more heater, but first reflash the firmware with an RC version and version 1 to see if they will do anything. Will try both. After that, gonna order some different brands of thermistors and heater cores.

I have a video exactly of what it's doing on the lcd if you want to see it.

I did disconnect from the octoprint, and even tried to run the print both off the card and from the computer, but they did nothing. It just now won't heat to temp, but stay 10-15 degrees under what I set as the nozzle heat (preheating or heating code from print).

Going nuts here. It's gotta be something simple.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This means the fan is blowing on the extruder and not the printed part.
    Needs to be re-aimed. If you have a fan duct it is pointing incorrectly and if you don't have one maybe you should try one :)

Geof likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A 40w heater core will help here as well since it can stand the air flow better.

Geof likes this.
  20. cybershipley

cybershipley Member

I took off the fan and it's still doing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.