1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bubbling up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jella_joe, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

The first prints I made with my R1 about a year ago...both style of filament holders printed well.......guess I was a little lucky......Black PLA 200c extruder 60c bed..........Paper leveled x axis...don't recall offset......clean bed with hairspray..........I remember printing slow...... DSC08850.JPG DSC08851.JPG

Jella_joe likes this.
  2. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Ok everyone! I didn't realize that Cura was a setting in MatterControl! I also didn't know there was a show help option to select.

I changed some settings now that I know what everything is. I changed to Cura slicing and grid instead of line. I have never had such a beautiful first layer. It really is stunning. Here's hoping!

jim3Dbot and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, you can use Cura stand alone or just the slicer part of it in MC.
    Others (like repetierhost) are just host programs for other slicers as well.

Jella_joe likes this.
  4. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

second layer looking good!

5. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

The fourth layer compressed everything. That's not normal right? Ug it just pulled the whole thing up. I am going to try again with these settings....wish me luck!

#25 Jella_joe, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Verify your Z steps/mm is correct. Can get screwed up if you by chance used the incorrect firmware.

7. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Agree, Z steps are not correct or something is slipping on the way up the z rods.............

Jella_joe likes this.
  8. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Would that be layer height? I have a .4 mm nozzle. layer height shows 0.2 mm

Firmware version: ROBO3DR1V3

Attached Files:

9. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Threads look good on everything. I think it could have something to do with the Z step too. I don't see anything on my version that says Z-Step. here are a couple spots I see that could change Z.

Attached Files:

10. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Which version of Printer do you have? Quoted from Robo 3D Firmware Release Page "If you have the R1+ Plus, do not use this firmware." http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

You have to change the firmware (not the software - MatterControl) to modify the Z-Steps, this cannot be achieved by editing the software. Actually, I bet there is a way with EEPROM to modify but its best to do this in the firmware itself, so it doesn't forget.

Once you change the firmware, you then have to re-upload to the printer.

I did a quick search and you would have to run M92 Z### with the correct Z-Steps then send M500 to save.

I am not 100% sure on this but I believe you need to set your Z-offset before you run the auto-level? Someone will need to clarify this though.

11. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

I have the ROBO R1 no plus here. I just went to the page where all the downloads are. How can you tell if you have the lead screw upgrade? I attached a photo with mine circled. There is a firmware update for that. Maybe that is my issue? Also, I wouldn't want to do all the packages right....just the lead screw one circled in "capture7"?

downloaded the file, unzipped it and clicked on "Change" under "Fireware Updates". It doesn't find the folder. Is there another way to do the update?

Attached Files:

#31 Jella_joe, Jul 14, 2016
  12. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

I believe if you do not have helical couplers, then you have leadscrews.....

Jella_joe likes this.
  13. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Totally just have a nut. Thanks! Now to figure out how to get the proper firmware in place.

14. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

I found what I have to do! I have to flash it. That's further down on the page.

15. Ryan TeGantvoort

If you look at the bottom of the Lead Screw, does it run directly into the Stepper Motor? Or does it look like the picture below?

[​IMG]

If it looks like the picture above then you definitely do not have the Lead Screw Update. http://guide.robo3d.com/Guide/Lead+Screw+Upgrade/14

If the Lead Screw goes directly into the Stepper Motor, then you are correct you will need the Lead Screw Update Firmware. If you have something else uploaded then you will definitely have issues like you describe.

Go here: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/robo-r1-plus-firmware-changes.8066/#post-70559 . Watch the 2nd video in my initial post to figure out how to upload and change the firmware settings. There are some instructions on the Robo Firmware page but this video is very good.

You can also check the current setting my running M503 and reading what it prints out. You are going to be looking for:

READ: echo: M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z800.00 E841.14

The number in bold is the critical number here. Z800.00 is the number used for the Lead Screw Update.

16. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Then I don't have the lead screw update. ug. What's this things deal!

17. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Well, one last thing just to make sure if you have the 8mm (~20 threads per inch) or 5/16" (18 threads per inch) threaded rod would be to count the number of threads in an inch. Since it isn't a leadscrew version without couplers, then it can only be one of those two?

#37 danzca6, Jul 14, 2016
  18. Ryan TeGantvoort

The versions are not documented very well, so we basically just ask questions until we finally determine the correct version of printer. But if you have the couplings, then I believe you have an Original R1, which came with the 5/16" or 8mm Lead Screws? Someone else will need to verify the model and firmware since I only have the R1+ PLUS printer. Definitely do not use the Lead Screw Update Firmware.

Did you run a M503 to see what the current settings are? Post your results, when you have a chance. The only information anyone will be looking for is what I told you to look for previously after running the M503 command.

19. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

I printed the calibration cube. Measures right. I am not sure how to just run M503

20. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You are running Matter Control or Cura? I know MC has it, but I haven't used it in months. Cura has it when you open the print window when using the prontierface option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.