1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Printer error after hot end upgrade?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SoCalPrinter, Jul 19, 2016.

1. SoCalPrinter

SoCalPrinter New Member

I recently had an E3D-v6 hot end installed, but now Matter Control stops printing after about an hour and a "hardware problem" window pops up. Is this common? Can I not use MatterControl with an upgraded hot end? The shop that installed it completed a test print with Repetier, but I'm having issues trying to learn Repetier and would prefer to stick with MatterControl.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to capture the actual error the printer is tossing back. It will be in the GCode terminal (I do not know where that is in MatterControl). You will have to scroll back to find it. If you catch it immediately after the error it will not be too far back.

Yes, many people use the E3D with the Robo. Works great.

3. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I believe you go to View -> Terminal?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
  5. SoCalPrinter

SoCalPrinter New Member

Apparently the extruder is dropping temperature suddenly? I don't know which one is the error code but it says "extruder switched off: temperature fell too much during print! (652.697)"

6. TomerO

TomerO Member

Any chance this is happening when your part cooling fans turn on?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Check your thermistor for loose or broken wires.

8. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

If you have a good set of 20mm fans with ducts, your hotend could fluctuate when the fans are running. Possibly drop the temperature enough to fault out. This is the main reason I chose 10mm fans, plus I didn't want to chance losing build height.

9. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

yeah could be a thermistor issue when you installed it on the V6. Those things can be a bit tricky. The fan blowing on the hotend could be as well since now the V6 is a bit longer than the hex and puts the end of the hotend more in the path of your fans/shrouds if you didn't upgrade the placement with the new hotend. Also could try using the heat coupler from the hex to see if it helps.

10. SoCalPrinter

SoCalPrinter New Member

Thanks for the help everybody. So since the last reply on this thread, I have changed the following things:

-Ordered new thermistor and used JB Weld to glue it into the threaded coupler
    -Upgraded MatterControl to newest version
    -Upgraded Firmware to ROBOR1PLUSV2

I ran M999 to reset the temp as instructed, but I'm still having the same problem. The print starts fine and then stops after a few seconds. Any other suggestions? Error code below.

<-ok [275.967]
    ->N730 G1 X85.33 Y98.37 E33.372*88 [275.967]
    <-Error:Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print! [276.007]
    <-Error:printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting) [276.012]
    <-Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting) [276.020]
    <-ok [276.819]
    ->N731 M105*34 [276.819]
    <-ok T:208.4 /0.0 B:89.2 /0.0 T0:208.4 /0.0 @:0 B@:0 [276.823]
    ->N732 G1 X86.2 Y97.97 E33.531*111 [276.823]
    <-Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting) [276.830]
    <-ok [276.831]
    ->N733 G1 X87.06 Y97.57 E33.69*111 [276.831]
    <-Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting) [276.838]
    <-ok [276.838]

Attached Files:

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The M999 is still just a symptom of the firmware seeing a quick drop in temperature.
    It can only be one of a few things.
    1) The thermistor again.
    2) The wiring to the RAMPS
    3) The RAMPS board (or in rare cases the Arduino)
    4) Too much air blowing on the heater block or nozzle and the Heater core can't keep up. 40w core will help this or redirect the fans.

Geof likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Oh and if you did not use a stock thermistor make sure the thermistor TYPE is set correctly in the firmware.

Geof likes this.
  13. SoCalPrinter

SoCalPrinter New Member

I checked the "turn fan off during first 5 layers" option and that seemed to stop the M999 error, but now the material wont extrude at all.
    I don't know how to make changes in the firmware, I only know how to update the firmware from a file

14. WizarDru

WizarDru Member

Can't say for sure, but when this happened to me, it was a damaged thermistor (and with the default hot-end). The wire had become damaged, so that it worked until it bent a certain way (or was moved too quickly by the print-head) and then the temperature suddenly appeared to drop (or rather no longer sent info) and that caused the M999 issue for me.

Updating the firmware isn't as terrifying as it sounds (since it's essentially just opening the config files using some Arduino utilities, editing a text file and then essentially recompiling it into a file for uploading), but I wouldn't go near that route until you've eliminated the thermistor. Unless there's a wiring error or you've made some changes intentionally, it's like either that or the wiring to it, IMHO.

15. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

"Ordered new thermistor and used JB Weld to glue it into the threaded coupler"

This sounds non standard to me. Sorry if I misunderstand but it seems a rough "fix" for something simple.
    I would suspect this as being part of the problem. If the thermister somehow needs to be JB welded to a coupling I think something is wrong. Maybe I missed something earlier in the thread.

I've personally gone through 4 thermisters before learning just how delicate they truly are.