1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved No material extrusion during print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ed Neugebauer, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

My z offset in simplify 3D is through the start up script but i don't know how matter control handles

2. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

I've been jumping around from MatterControl, Cura and Octopi and having the same problem in all three. I am using the same slicer Engine in Cura and Octopi.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Slicer engine ? That sounds like matter control still? Cura would be a totally separate slicer

4. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

I use the Cura Engine as my slicer in Octopi. Yes, I tried Cura too.

5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Ed, Mine was doing something similar. I managed to get mine to print by pausing the print job then turning the left hand threaded rod (z rod?) in the direction that LOWERS the print bed. I turned it twice about 1/4 turn each time resuming the print job in between each adjustment. I did this during the perimeter print and it was perfect when the actual object started printing. I have no clue if there is an easier way it just worked for me.

Geof likes this.
  6. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

That makes sense and thank you for your feedback. I will try this when I get home from work today.

The weird thing is that the calibration circle was the only thing that printed the right amount of material, albeit on one side only. I tried to print other objects (all smaller) with different slicers/software programs, and it would just put down very faint amounts of material and stop printing after a few layers. The very faint amounts of material that it did print are very fine and precise, but the filament never really feeds much at all during the print job and I have to cancel it.

If the hot end is too close to the bed does that stop it from printing out the right amount of material? Should I add like .2 mm to my Z-offset?

Attached Files:

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, if the nozzle is too close to the bed you can't push out enough filament:

https://printedsolid.com/blogs/news/tagged/first-layer

Refer to picture #5 and #6

8. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

Gotcha. To raise the print head up, do I enter in a negative or positive number with the Z-offset value? I was not able to determine this from a quick Google search. Once I find the right offset using MatterControl, which line specifically do I edit in the firmware to make the change permanent?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Using M565 in the startup GCode a larger negative value is further from the bed and a larger positive value is closer to the bed.

If your slicer has a configuration setting for it, refer to their docs since it may (or may not) even use the M565 command.(there are other ways they can skin that cat).

I prefer the M565 in the startup GCode block myself.

10. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

I got it working finally setting z offset to -1 using th m565 command, and manually turning the left threaded rod for the z axis clockwise about a full turn. Now I have to figure out how to make the z offset permanent in the firmware.

11. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

I'm still having problems. The bed keeps getting uneven and I have to manual turn the z-axis screw to re-align for each print.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you holding the other threaded rod when you do this ?

13. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

At first I was not and the last time I did so I don't have the uneven print problem anymore.

I still have the problem with the print stalling after a few layers. I keep raising the z-offset to make sure it's not printing out too low and it still does it. I started with the z-offset at -1 and not I'm up to -1.25. It prints for about 5-10 minutes and then stalls.

I can then pull the filament out with the hot end at a high temperature.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Is there an error in your gcode terminal? Is the fan on the bottom right front side of your printer running ?

15. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

I don't see any errors and I've been making sure the fan stays off since I'm using ABS. I lowered the temperature and that did not help either.

I hit -1.3 on my z-offset and the printed material started to come up in some places. I have the hairspray caked on pretty good too.

The current print at -1.3 z-offset just stalled again using ABS at 225 degree celsius with the print bed at 80 degree celsius. I was able to get one calibration ring printed out earlier in the night, but I've had a 1/2 dozen failed prints since then. Same problem each time where it prints a few layers and then the filament stops feeding.

After each failed print I can pull the filament out at high temp without tearing the whole assembly apart. Once again the filament has a deep indentation in it about 2-3 inches up from the end of it.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Not the parts fan the fan that is underneath the bottom of your printer it cools the ramps board

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are 4 fans.
    1) In the P/S -- should always be on when the power is on
    2) The one that cools the RAMPS -- should always be on when the power is on
    3) The one that cools the extruder heatsink -- should always be on when the power is on (or at least when the extruder is hot)
    4) The parts cooling fan -- controlled by the slicer

18. Ed Neugebauer

Ed Neugebauer Member

Cura works fine but I have the problem with MatterControl. Have not had a chance to open up the bottom to see if the fan is working but will check later today.

Thank you, very, very much. I thought I had a few hundred dollar paperweight sitting here but I am almost there.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the problem is purely MC related then hopefully someone on here who uses it can assist.
    You might also try the MC forums:

https://forums.matterhackers.com/

They wrote it :)

20. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

The indentation about 2-3 inches up, would that be caused by the hobbed bolt stripping the filament while trying to extrude? I would check for a partial clog as well. Maybe try a new nozzle.