1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved New Printer Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TheGlutton, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGlutton

TheGlutton New Member

Latest test cube still almost exactly 17mm, or 3mm to short...

I am at a complete loss, in addition to being short the print quality is quite poor, I am not sure if I am right to pursue the scale issue first, or if I should try to correct the strange vertical banding, possible over-extrusion(?) first.

File_000.jpeg File_001.jpeg File_002.jpeg File_003.jpeg

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't get to follow your issues sooner. I was out watching a play with my daughter tonight. Glad to see you figured out that the M565 command should have a Z- value and not a positive value. That is why the x was riding off of the endstops and the nozzle was crashing into the bed. Always want it to be a negative value after the Z. Your setting look ok now. I personally would drop the bed down to 50C and the extruder to 200C for PLA, but 10C difference isn't too bad. I think now it comes down to calibration. Your extrusion steps seem off. Watch Tom's video on calibrating it with whatever filament you are using. When it extrudes in the air, it should be a nice flow as well. Mine makes a nice little tube of filament on the bed when I do 100 mm extrude and the nozzle isn't real high. Once you do the calibration of your E steps, then print another cube. Lets see where we are at after that. Also that might help with knowing how to tweak the Z offset. If you know you are extruding correctly that will help if you need to go a little closer or farther from the bed when dialing in the Z height. Hang in there. You are learning quick and this will be second nature before you know it. Next step might be to slow the print speed down if it is still looking bad. So far seems to be a bit off lining up with the previous layer. Not sure if that is extrusion or maybe something being a bit loose. Also check out the links in the beginning of this thread. http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/visual-troubleshooting-guide.3017/ They give some good visuals of what kind of issues you might be having based on what your print is looking like.

TheGlutton likes this.
  3. danzca6

You're going to hate those cubes by the time this is over ;)

Also may want to change your shell thickness to 1.2. That will give you 3 walls with the .4 nozzle and that seems to do well. You can see a bit of your infill patter bleeding through with just .8 (2 walls) set.

TheGlutton likes this.
  4. TheGlutton

TheGlutton New Member

OK, I used these settings for PLA:
    http://wiki.eccmakers.com/index.php?title=Robo3d_Settings_for_Cura

And was able to get the quality to improve dramatically. Going to 100% infil removed the vertical stripes from going up the sides that were caused by a micro-grid 15% infil.

I searched these forums for any other cause for the short prints and this is the only thing I have not tried:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/prints-short-on-z-axis.8541/#post-76662

This makes sense because 1-I was unsure which way to wire the control-board fan when I was re-assembling the unit AND 2-My print quality seemed to get worse as the daytime temperatures increased, and improve as temperatures decreased and I opened up the house for the evening. My last print @ 9:00 PM came out at about 19.75mm tall.

I opened up the case and reversed the fan lead, then powered on the machine and confirmed that it is now running. I am priting one more cube and hope to get it right this time.

Fingers crossed!

5. TheGlutton

TheGlutton New Member

@danzca6 Thank you! You are spot on, I think that I have the z-axis issue fixed (with my control board fan now actually running) after this cube finishes I will follow that video guide and let you know how things go :)

I have 11 "cubes" so far, no hate yet :) These little buddies are helping me sort things out!

With the settings I copied above and the cooling ambient temps I am getting MUCH better quality prints already I am SO pleased :D Me and this little ROBO are gonna make it.

6. TheGlutton

TheGlutton New Member

The control board is now running cool and my test cube is 20cm high :D The print quality is also imensly improved, I am going camping this weekend so extrusion calibration will have to wait :) I am happy to have gone from DOA to printing in 3d, this is magic!

Rigmarol likes this.
  7. danzca6

Ah yes.. That darn ramps fan. That would do it. I didn't realize you took the bottom cover off. It's amazing what happens when the ramps gets hot. Stepper drivers like to be cool. Glad to hear you are coming with gas now. Enjoy your camping adventure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.