1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Odd Noise when powering on

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BrianY, Jul 20, 2016.

1. BrianY

BrianY New Member

Hello All,

Lately when I power on my printer, the fan makes a terrible noise and sounds like the speed is varying. If I power it off and then turn it back on it seems to cure it. It seems odd to me that if something was stuck in the fan, powering off would fix it. This recurs almost every new day the I turn my printer on. Anyone have any recommendations or seen this before?

Thank You!

2. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

If you haven't done so already, maybe take the fan out and examine it for debris. Possible wire or wire tie too close to blades? Common issue with homebuilt computers in my past.

BrianY likes this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I actually had the same thing going on. I ended up buying a Mean Well PSU to replace it and have it sitting in the wings for when it dies on me. I took a can of compressed air and blew the PSU and its fan out and that seemed to help. The fan faces up into the printer and if any plastic booger bits get down the hole then it could interfere a bit over time. The PSU that came with isn't a high quality part. For $40 the Mean Well makes a nice replacement and is quieter.

BrianY and Geof like this.
  4. BrianY

BrianY New Member

Thank you all for the help. Ill try your suggestions and let you know how it goes!

Geof likes this.
  5. bryson bishop

bryson bishop Member

Mine does the exact same thing. Don't know exactly what the problem is tho.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Check the fan that blows on the ramps