1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Temp Fail

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rescue35, Jul 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

At random points, during a print, I get a 10° C drop in extruder temp causing an error and my print to stop. This only happens after the auto level routine. I have been trying to print the 20mm calibration cube to test various settings while switching to PETG. Typically I get 20-50% through the 9 minute print before a failure. If I restart the print immediately after a failure, it fails sooner on the second try. This has also happened while printing ABS.

Relevant information,
    Robo R1 w/ XL Screen printing from SD Card
    Cura Slicer
    Recently disassembled extruder to replace broken parts
    Changing Filament to PETG
    The printer is at the end of a heavily loaded circuit

I have read through this thread and have several points to check. http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/temp-fall-error.8712/

Check connections at extruder: Done (no change)
    Draft: Changed printer location (Same room, no change)
    Power supply voltage under load
    Connections at controller
    Varify extruder Temp before and after error

If anyone can think of something that needs to be checked, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  3. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

I snagged an IR picture of it just before failing. I will have to do a thorough test once I return home Saturday. The controller said the Temp was 245° C from a setting of 255. I was getting a reading of 217.6 with a generic emissivity setting of .95. I will measure the emissivity, then get a cold temp, preheat temp, printing temp, and post fail temp for comparison. All of this is to prove whether the temp is truly falling or if the control thinks it is falling. I will know where to go from there.

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is usually a loose or failing thermistor so good luck.

5. Lord_Surl

Lord_Surl Member

I had the same problem for the longest time. Turns out I didn't wrap my thermistor up enough (I had one of the older models) and the fan was blowing on it, cooling it off too much and giving me the same problem. I have no idea if this helps any, but I thought I might pitch in.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thermistor loose

Wiring loose

Failing heater

Ramps board

Arduino

Id check in that order.

My personal opinion is the ir tests are very inconsistent and id go off what your controller is saying. Preheat your extruder and wiggle the wires to see if you can recreate the issue.

7. Rescue35

Rescue35 New Member

Follow up: The IR images showed the extruder was up to temp the whole time even when the display had the temp dropping. A $6000 FLIR IR camera is going to be much more accurate than any hobby grade electronics. This means the controller was getting bad information... the thermistor was not reading correctly under rapid movements. I replaced it with the ones recommended by Mark in the other thread. I also added the 40W heating element. I am now getting full and perfect prints with petg .

As always, thanks for all of the help.

Geof, Rigmarol, SteveT and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.