1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Firmware Version Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Larry H, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Larry H

Larry H Member

Hello,
    So I've been having some issues recently with my Robo3D R1+ printer. I have another post or two about that open but this is better suited here.

I noticed this on the Simplify3D console last night and I wanted to make sure this is correct for a R1+ which I got in December 2015. With what I read about the steps per mm being off from the wrong version firmware being loaded on a few R1+'s I wanted to rule out incorrect firmware version.

Marlin1.0.0
    READ: echo: Last Updated: Jun 24 2015 14:05:08 | Author: (RoBo 3D, R1 Single Extruder)
    Last Updated: Jun 24 2015 14:05:08 | Author: (RoBo 3D, R1 Single Extruder)

thanks for any help you can give me.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is no real way to tell from the MARLIN banner since Robo doesn't alter that (they are not software folks). You are better off if really concerned by downloading the appropriate one and uploading that.

The only thing that changes in any case are settings in the CONFIGURATION.H file.

3. Larry H

Larry H Member

Ah ok thanks, seeing it was v1.0 for Marlin and RoBo 3D, R1 Single Extruder without a R1+ figured I'd better check. I might download the appropriate one but I'll try a few other things first.
    Speaking of, dumb question is there a way to access my current Configuration.h file or is it just using the M503(?) command in the console.
    thanks

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Once compiled and loaded to the Arduino you can't recover the original source.
    Keep a copy somewhere :)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. Larry H

Larry H Member

Cool thank you.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck.
    As I mentioned the only real part you are going to modify is likely the one file: CONFIGURATION.H
    It has nicely commented sections and if you have any questions about it we can likely answer them.

Larry H likes this.
  8. Robert Foreman

I have a question about what is the correct version I need to download. I got mine back in Feb 17th 2016. The LCD says ROBOR1PLUSV1 so should I download the ROBO3DR1V2 from Robo's firmware page ? The only changes to the FW I have made was the settings you can change from Matter Control or the ones in octoprint. The reason I am asking is I want to start learning the FW side of things.

Or should I get the
    Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 Release Candidate 7 (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Thanks.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Robert Foreman No need to upgrade, there is no functional difference between V1 and V2 and according to a review of the code by @danzca6 there may even be a potential bug in the modifications Robo made. It is all based on the same version of Marlin (version 1.0.0 to be exact) and almost no documentation about what was changed from the default Marlin settings is available. If your printer is working fine, do not upgrade the firmware.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That needs to be on a click-through agreement needed to access the forum.

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  11. Robert Foreman

It's not that I want to change anything now but if in the future I need to change the thermistor or something like that. I just want to be ready by making sure I have the correct files if I need to go into the configuration.h file. I am just wanting to try to learn more.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Everything you need is over here:

http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

There are even basic instructions.

No need to fear firmware updates since putting the default one back in cures screw ups, but also not something that will fix most problems :) It is for, as you are considering, customization.

13. Robert Foreman

Ok thanks. I did put an e3d v6 hot end on it but I never went in and changed the thermistor type(it was not the screw in type). I have not had any problems printing but I have read a few post that said that it needed to be changed.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That just means your thermistor readings were not accurate.
    You should change it.

15. Robert Foreman

After looking through the different ones on Robo's FW page It looks like mine came with the leadscrew upgrade FW.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have the R1+ that is correct.