1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I don't have a PLUS, but if Robo is listening I would be happy to test one. ;)

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I finally had some time to actually print some stuff with RC7. I have now done an 8 hour print and a 6 hour print. Aside from some wonkiness with OctoPrint the prints came out as expected and I am happy with the work done with Marlin 1.1.0. Of course there are still the things that I question like renaming variables within the same RC but I will try to keep up.

Need to do some maintenance on my ROBO R1 to make sure the prints are perfect. Or maybe Robo3D could send me a test R2 so I can make sure that Marlin 1.1.0 works on their new printer.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You assume much -- like its existence :)

WheresWaldo and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
  4. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I'll test one too! Get better results that way. ;)

5. Wesotn

Wesotn New Member

So ever sinced I updated to RC7, my prints have become wavy and I cant seem to fix it with the Z Offset. Anyone have any ideas for help?

6. danzca6

Wavy how? Have a pic? Remember as well that WW set the extrusion steps to an estimated number. I personally would go through and check some of the calibration settings like that to make sure they work with your application. That's just one thought and hopefully a pic will help see more of what might be the issue.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Wesotn Just as @danzca6 mentions, I reset all the configuration items to better represent a properly calibrated printer, that was as accurate (true to dimensions) as I could get it, within reason. That means if you set all your slicer profiles based on the default settings they will print like crap, most of the time. You will need to redo many of the slicer settings or go back to the inaccurate numbers that Robo defaulted to.

My suggestion is to do as @danzca6 says and make sure the calibration numbers work for you . This is something you should do every time you upgrade to newer versions of firmware, as we can never be 100% certain that the developers didn't change some fundamental function that makes all our slicer parameters obsolete.

mark tomlinson and anngeelow81 like this.
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So now that RC7 seems to be RC7 I just wanted to let folks know that there are now over 80 commits in RCBugFix since RC7, some are to language files others are for small bugs that only appear in unique situations. I am trying to keep up with all to see if there are any that affect us here with Robo's.

So far the only new thing seems to be a change to the timer, it will now display days:hours:min instead of just hours:min, since I have never printed anything over 22 hours I won't be testing this anytime soon. The filament length used has been changed to account for longer print times that use very long lengths of filament. There is also some cleanup in the M303 output, but most of us hardly ever use M303 unless we are troubleshooting some leveling issue.

And, not being able to leave well enough alone, they added some experimental code to RCBugFix which will get added to the next and hopefully final RC.

#608 WheresWaldo, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  9. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Didn't you mean RC7 not RC6 above?

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yep. edited

11. danzca6

Man, correcting a man before his morning coffee....haha

12. deeph

deeph Member

Does this version of the firmware work with Old Robo3D with 5/16 threaded rod?
    BTW, how do I know if my lead screw on inch or mm? Just to make sure. I have no lid on the bottom of my Robo3D.

#612 deeph, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  13. danzca6

Yes and no. The r1 version will work but you will needed to change the z steps in the firmware to match what is set for the 5/16 threaded rods. Do you have auto bed leveling?

How to tell metric or inch, easiest way is if you can thread a 5/16 nut on one or not. Otherwise count the threads per one inch.

Make sure you have a working version of your current firmware on hand so you can fail back to it before venturing into rc7.

#613 danzca6, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  14. deeph

deeph Member

Yes mine is R1 but the old one, forgot to mentioned before. Ohh and I haven't upgraded the lead screw.
    Ok, I will change the Z step with the proper one.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

It would be one extra line added to configuration.h to account for the 5/8" threaded rods, but I haven't added it to my set of files, I probably should. But, the reality is that everyone should do the Lead Screw upgrade or the Alternate Lead Screw Upgrade as it is probably the best mechanical upgrade you can make to your printer. It is as useful as adding an LCD to improve usability.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. deeph

deeph Member

I saw old firmware and does the z step is 2267.72 for inch lead screw?
    For a while I'm still using my stock lead screw. I will make a upgrade in the future.

17. danzca6

5/16 threaded rod steps is 2267.72

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. deeph

deeph Member

Thanks, I will try to upload it.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Nothing new but a special note for people using ABL. The latest commits to RCBugFix are changing the default probe points to Auto Bed Leveling and I will probably leave them at the default settings. They are moving to a 9 point grid by default and they will now mathematically calculate the probe points based on the declared bed size. That will make it even more important to make sure you are not using the default Robo bed size (my files do not but are very specific to my printer), since that is actually larger than the printable bed size.

No idea when they will make the current RCBugFix into an RC, but it can't be too much longer.

20. danzca6

No word on if the will fix the textual feedback of the ABL with this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.