1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Can't Remove Filament After Printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ryan Whitney, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Ryan Whitney

Ryan Whitney New Member

Just got my printer a couple weeks ago, but I can't remove the filament after printing. I manually spin the gear in reverse with the feed still at 210 which works for an inch of travel or so but then the filaments stops moving. If I continue to spin the gear the hobbed bolt just starts chewing through the filament, so on 2 occasions now when I wanted to change filament it broke off and got stuck below the hobbed bolt so I needed to disassemble the hot end.
    Any suggestions?? I've tried oiling, and manually working the gear back and forth but so far the only thing that works is cutting the filament right at the hobbed bolt and using the end of my next filament spool to force the old one through the feed

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I don't try to reverse the gear, not that it is an evil thing to do...
    I always remove the two spring-loaded screws to load and unload the filament. It is easy that way.

Geof and danzca6 like this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I just push the spring loaded lever back with one hand and pull with the other.

4. Ryan Whitney

Ryan Whitney New Member

Tried that also after reading your similar post on a different thread.....didn't help with the screws removed, must be something holding it up in the hot end

5. danzca6

Really? At temp?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you push it down a bit then reverse? Are you certain its at temp? Are you manually turning the wheel or using the jog controls in the slicer? Just want to be sure :)

7. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

While at temp:
    1. remove tension on filament (either remove or loosen screws pressing idle wheel into hobbed bolt)
    2. push filament down until you get extrusion
    3. pull up and remove filament.

Anything stops this and you probably have a jam.

8. danzca6

Never done the push than pull method. I may try that next time to see what the difference is.

9. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

It rules out a jam is why I push first. If it extrudes, I'm good and hot and it pulls out with no issues.

danzca6 likes this.
  10. Ryan Whitney

Ryan Whitney New Member

Ok thanks everyone. I'm definitely at temp (210) and even removing the screws completely doesn't let me pull the filament out by hand and I'm pulling pretty hard. I'll try the push/pull method tomorrow

11. danzca6

What type of filament have you been using? PLA?

12. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I typically always push a little filament then pull the filament out. Seems to always come out smoother. I also just push the lever back with one hand and remove it. This way I never have to readjust the screws.

danzca6 likes this.
  13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

E3D has a procedure they call the Atomic Pull as it needs a bit of strength to accomplish but removes any residue at the same time. Their procedure works better with things like Nylon and PETG than PLA or ABS, but basically you let the temp drop to about 150°C after printing then yank out the filament from the extruder. It is a soft blob but not melted so it will require a large tug to get it out. It will remove all leftover burnt bits of filament that may be charred on the inside of the nozzle. A re-seasoning might be in order after Atomic Pulls.

Rigmarol, Geof and danzca6 like this.
  14. danzca6

#14 danzca6, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  15. Ryan Whitney

Ryan Whitney New Member

Push/pull method worked without any problems at all. Not sure why I was having so much trouble just pulling after a print, but looks like problem solved with basically no effort. Thanks again