1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Sidewall artifacts

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Terry Reilley, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Any ideas on this weird artifact? It occurred on one side of opposite ends, if that makes sense. I looked everywhere on-line and couldn't find an example of this one.

Print settings:
    Hatchbox PLA @ 205 degrees
    50 degree heated platform using PEI
    0.2mm layers @ 0.9 extrusion factor
    Print speed is 60mm/s for outer perimeter

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Maybe you do not have your starting position randomized between layers?

Just a guess. If it were to always start a layer at the same spot you get odd looking artifacts.

3. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

That is a new one. I can't say I have ever seen this issue. Looks like its forgetting to extrude after rounding that corner.

First thing I would check is the hardware, belts, bolts, hubs, bearings etc. Make sure everything is snug. But it would appear your first few layers do not show the issue.

This is happening in the opposite/diagonal corner as well?

Looks like its going to hold some AA batteries!

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmm, I assumed that was the solid top and bottom layers. Still, good point (and good eye)

5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I don't know nuthin but if I saw that on my build table I'd be checking to see if there were any sort of obstruction that might be bouncing the print head over on each pass. Again, I don't know what I'm talking about just sharing what I'm thinking.

6. Ryan TeGantvoort

Mark, I would definitely say those are the Solid Top and Bottom Layers, looks like about 3 to 4 each.

I feel the solid top layers do not look as good as bottom layers solely because of the lack of support. Could this just be a speed issue? Since the Top and Bottom Layers are not recreating the issue. Or something is loose, and when the speed is increased for the infill, the problem is enlarged.

But your outermost perimeter should be slower anyways (thinking out loud).

60mm/s seems very fast for the outermost perimeter.

7. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Using S3D, my start points were not set to random. They were set to "Optimize start points for fastest print speed". Just changed to to random and will try another print.

8. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Yes, opposite corners - so weird. AAA batteries on this one. I just finished the AA holder and it did the same thing.

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  9. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Checked - nothing there.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have coast turned on ? I had odd items like that and just turned it off and all was good

11. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

I agree with your statement that the top layers don't look as good as the bottom. The top solid layer doesn't look as smooth as I would have liked. My print speeds are:

Default - 60mm/s
    Outline Underspeed - 80% Each perimeter prints slower as they progress.
    Solid Infill Underspeed - 90%
    Support Structure Underspeed - 80% (not applicable on this model)

12. Ryan TeGantvoort

Okay that makes more sense. I thought your outermost perimeter was printing at 60mm/s. I would try slowing it down once and see what happens. For example: When I got S3D, I dropped my default speed to 50mm/s and the Outline Underspeed to 30%. My prints typically take awhile but seem to always come out looking good.

I am still leaning towards some sort of hardware/mechanical failure. Loose belt, hub, bolt, stepper driver failing? Does it do this on all of your prints that are rectangular/square? Which way was that part positioned on the bed? Longest Side Parallel with X-Axis? Trying to determine which axis its occurring on.

Maybe its something as simple as a bad model that needs to be repaired?

13. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

The belts and hubs are all tight after having installed an E3D v6 and Titan extruder. Dialed printer in a couple of days ago as far as steppers are concerned. The part was as you said - longways along the x axis and that's where the errors were on each side in opposite corners.