1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Hardware error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by capecodcharlie, Aug 16, 2016.

1. capecodcharlie

Any of these do it ??. I GENERL / Layers /Surface / then what ?? image.jpg

2. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Yes Top Solid Layers and Bottom Solid Layers

3. Ryan TeGantvoort

Not sure that I can explain it better but here goes.

Open MatterControl, Click Settings & Controls

Untitled.png

Then you will get a screen that looks like this:

Untitled2.png

If it does not look like that, make sure Advanced is selected (first Red Circle)

What are the current settings set to? They need to be a minimum of 3 (NOT 3mm)

danzca6 likes this.
  4. capecodcharlie

Are we talking top / Bottom solid layers ?? Set now at 1mm ?? image.jpg F

5. capecodcharlie

There at 1mm , how do I get just 3 , .?? Just erase and put a 3 there ??

6. capecodcharlie

Not sure if you can see that but it says Add mm to the end number to specify distance in millimeters ?... image.jpg

7. capecodcharlie

So just put a 3 there and try that ?? No mm ??

8. capecodcharlie

O K Made the change and I'm printing , Thanks

9. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I know it's a lot to take in. So it is asking for a measurement in mm or a number of total layers. I like just putting in the number of layers inserted of the measurement. That way if you change your print quality from medium to high or whatever, you won't need to change the measurement for top and bottom layers. Does that make sense? Feals like a crash course I know. Hang in there and it will start to click.

10. Ryan TeGantvoort

Yep just get rid of the MM and put only a 3.

MC only requires the MM if you want to specify an exact height for your Top/Bottom Layers (which I have never liked) instead of the actual number of layers. It makes way more sense just entering the number of layers you would like. Take a picture of your results and we will let you know if you need more. But 3 is a good place to start and my minimum.

When you put 3 Top/Bottom Layers, watch your print start and you will notice the first 3 layers laid down will be solid/full. Then towards the end of your print you will notice 3 solid layers at the top as well. If you increase that number to 4, the first 4 layers will be solid/full and so on. You can also see this in MatterControl by selecting "Layer View", before you print.

There is a lot of information being thrown at you but hang in there. Maybe even go back and re-read this thread. I promise it will all make sense eventually! Take note of everything that is being said and don't be afraid to look at the MC manual to get a better understanding of the Software's functionality.

danzca6 likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Get rid of matter control and it is better.

12. capecodcharlie

No I think this is great , what a way to learn , without you all I would be lost , I guess if you understand what the settings mean when checking the commands that will help, I thinking most of these machines need a bit of tweaking , set up , then make a small change and try again till your satisfied , I'm not a computer person either so I need a bit of a hold your hand type help , it is a bit frustrating but it sure is good you guys don't loose it on me , I appreacate it really , I'll put that piece up in the morning and see what you think , I have a million questions on what filament is best. What machines everyone uses. And I see matter control is not a fav with most , but I do not want to be a pain in the ass , But thank you all and I'll be passing and asking question on for a while , Thanks

13. capecodcharlie

That's one question I have ?? What is everyone using. It seems no one likes matter ?? I new and open to change , And Thanks for all your help , I'm sure I'll be on here asking questions for a time Again Thanks

14. capecodcharlie

You along with al, the others have been one Hugh help , That was great you went out of your way to show me the way to change the settings , I'm not really a computer person , so I do not want to make a mistake and hit the wrong thing , I'll put that picture up tomorrow of the piece I printed , Again thanks , I am learning a little slow but it sure is interesting ,

15. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Hey that is what we are all here for. We have all been noobs at one point and some catch on right away and some take some time. Either way...when it clicks it clicks. There is always more to learn as well.

Yeah these are machines and need to be calibrated and understood. Once you have things dialed in they do pretty good just humming along for the most part. Trial and error is a lot of what I do as well. Luckily plastic is cheap and printing calibration/test parts don't cost you anything much other than time.

I started with Matter Control. It isn't as mature as some of the other programs out there, but it really isn't horrible to learn with either. I graduated to Cura after a couple months and really like the options it gives me. Now I am looking at making the jump to Simplify 3D. It isn't free, but it is considered the go to program for 3d printing. There are a ton of options out there and it really is all about where you are at in this hobby and where you want to go with it. It's fun for sure.

16. Ryan TeGantvoort

I use Simplify3D. I only used MatterControl for about a week before I decided to buy S3D, haven't looked back since. It was a great investment and a far superior slicer. I was having lots of issues with MatterControl, and I honestly just hated the interface/ease-of-use. I feel you are also slightly restricted with what you can accomplish with the printer when using MC. But there are a lot of people who still use MC and get good results.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. capecodcharlie

I have seen people talk about Cura and Simplify 3d , I'll look into it a bit later ,

On the parts printed I seem to have lost the back , Picture included , I noticed as it got started when it traveled across to do another layer it dragged and left a line on the print , Well I guess let me know what might be the problem , One other thing on the first start it had a break in the filament and I had to remove to clear the clog , it's as though the part that pulls the filament in cut it off because it could not get threw the extruder ?? Just looked that way , like the hole thing has to start higher , anyway between that and Internet connection because of storm it been fun still , I can clear a jam in minutes now instead of an hour LOL , AGAIN THANKS

18. capecodcharlie

Pictures ,, Thanks I always forget them , image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is not a hardware problem.
    Try another slicer.

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  20. capecodcharlie

Newbie , here , Not sure what u mean by that ?? Thanks