1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Warped bed, alternatives?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Toro1966, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Hey guys - been getting frustrated because I can't keep my bed level. While I understand some of that is the inefficiency of the auto leveling routine, but I seem to have three corners just about right and one corner that is higher. Yes, I can raise the other three corners, but then it doesn't sit great because there are too many paper shims between the agents and moves easily. The bed looks straight, but clearly isn't.

What alternatives are there? Also, I have another bed from Robo but the magnets aren't attached. I want to try it. What should I use to attach the magnets and what's the best way to install them? Should I put them on the rail magnets first and then place the glass bed down?

Could the y rails or connectors be warped?

Maybe I should try mesh leveling. How hard is that to implement? Any threads?

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Mesh leveling would be the best option it sounds like. Waldo has the new Marlin thread and I thought there was a mesh leveling guide in that thread or at least a link from it.

@Mike Kelly has a Thingiverse page for his Y axis remix and he stated "CA glue or two part epoxy is good for gluing the magnets to the bed/plastic.". Sounds like he used the two part. There is a bit of margin for error with the position of the magnets, but you want them to be fairly squared up with one another. You can use a clamp to glue them tight onto the glass. That will hopefully keep from having too much of a gap variance between them. Probably no need to glue them to the glass while attached to the y axis brackets. Just do it with the just the glass and the new magnets. I do wish there was an adjustable scree to push the magnet that is in the bracket up or down a bit so you don't have to resort to paper circles. One could design that I suppose ;)

There is a chance there could be some warping in smooth rods. They are only 8mm and the Y axis is pretty long. I would have preferred to have seen 10mm rods.

I still think that if warping continues to be an issue that trying mesh leveling would be the next best step. That firmware isn't an official release yet, but it is getting pretty close and I know some here have been using mesh for some time now and are happy with it.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...-1-0-release-candidate-7-for-r1-r1-plus.5806/

#2 danzca6, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  3. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Danzca. I started to go through that thread and quite frankly didn't have time to try and figure our firmware in the 32 page thread. :)

What I am really hoping for is a succinct way, including files and download location, to implement the new firmware for Robo and mesh leveling. I'm not lazy, it's just a little confusing and I am not a programmer, etc.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@WheresWaldo has a few excellent summary posts in there with the latest config files. The rest you download from the Marlin github.

Don't bother unless you have actually at least briefed through that thread. It is not a final release yet so know what you are buying into

5. danzca6

Toro

This is the post that explains what files you need. Prior to loading these files, be sure you do an M503 and save off the settings in a text file for later reference and make sure you have the original Firmware to load back on.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...date-7-for-r1-r1-plus.5806/page-29#post-82415

There are videos and other info online about the procedure to setup the Mesh Leveling. You have an LCD so that will help. Waldo has taken care of getting the firmware files setup for you. You just need to go through the manual probing procedure...man that sounds like some sort of alien abduction procedure...haha. I haven't done it personally yet, but I will be more than happy to help figure it out with you.

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/wiki/Manual-Mesh-Bed-Leveling
    https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/pull/1619

6. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

This is exactly how I would do it. Then you at least know they will be in the right place, even if the bed is a little crooked. Put some weight on the bed or use 4 clamps to secure it and let it sit overnight.

When I received my replacement Y-Axis smooth rods and bearings, one of my stock rods was extremely bowed. Luckily the ones Robo sent me were fairly straight upon arrival. I had one problem with the new rods and that being they were only 7.9mm but my stock ones were as well. This creates a ton of slop with the bearings.

I think I am going to look at doing something similar to what WheresWaldo has done with the Y-Axis Upgrade. But I think I would go with 10mm rods.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/y-axis-bearing-alternative.7167/

I have not tried MESH Leveling yet, so can't chime in on that.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe i over simplify or over use parts in silky places but i use self adhesive steel shim stock instead of paper. Magnets stick to steel :)

Ryan TeGantvoort and danzca6 like this.
  8. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks for all the great advice and help as always. You guys are great. Geof - where do you get the steel sheets?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

9. danzca6

I have the 10mm rods, bushings, and models for the parts needed to be printed for this if you want a copy of them Ryan.

10. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Does it make a big difference? Does it feel more stable?

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have them due to working in a print shop. I buy them from updateltd.com

Id suggest searching amazon for a variety pack.

12. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Amazon didn't have any. Or at least none that I can find.

13. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Would foil duct tape work?

14. danzca6

:oops:Not installed yet:oops: I am a slacker. It's actually part of a bigger picture upgrade I am ramping up for. I've heard those doing the 8mm upgrade has had good success. I have extra 8mm, 10mm, and 12mm rods. I can tell you that the rigidity is pretty significant just when holding each sized rod. The bronze bushings aren't cheap compared to the LMUU8 bearings.

15. danzca6

Duct tape fixes anything...ask anyone. haha!!!

Toro1966 likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What is the difference in that corner

17. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

The problem is that the one corner is high by about .2 - .3 mm. I can raise the other three easily of course to match it but I would definitely need that tape or something because the paper circles start to impact the magnetic holding of the bed.

18. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

19. danzca6

Rigmarol and Geof like this.
  20. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Sorry, saw that but it's not self adhesive.