1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hexagon clogged, moving to E3D

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WZ9V, Aug 6, 2016.

1. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

My hexagon has been acting up and has finally clogged up to the point I can't clear it out. Thinking its time to move to an E3D hotend. Any helpful suggestions on what is needed?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you r1 or R1+?

3. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

What they call an R1+Plus. It has the plastic quick release plate. After reading the entire E3D thread I have the impression I need to do two things.

1) Drill a 4mm hole for the PTFE tube
    2) Print a new thicker quick release plate

The second one could be a problem with a broken printer ;-)

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Drill the 4 mm hole then counterbore for the ptfe quick release ... I can't remember the size of the counterbore. You can use tape for the quick release until you get one printed. You'll also need some fan mounts if you use parts cooling fans. I can print your printables if you need them, just shoot me a pm with where to send them.

As far as stock parts to have... Nozzles, extra tube, extra thermistors, 40 watt heaters. After a year or however long it's been now I'm considering a heartbreak or when I order the e3ds for my sigma conversion grabbing an extra so I can just swap when a jam happens :)

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Getting a new nozzle should cure you for now as well if you don't want to shell out the money for a V6. The hex takes the same nozzle thread size as the V6 or there are cheap nozzles on Amazon.

6. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

For now I've decided to just go with the E3D since I think it will work better in the long run.

Just got done drilling out the 4mm hole for the PTFE tube. My carriage looks different than the pictures in the upgrade thread (R1 +Plus) so I'm holding off on the 7mm countersink until I get the parts.

PrintedSolid is printing me a thicker release plate to go with the E3D hotend so I can install it when it arrives. How's that for customer service.

#6 WZ9V, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    KTMDirtFace and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

The Greg's wade should be the same. The only new part I know of is the quick release plate for the r1+plus.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a 2015 nov r1+...i had to counterbore.

9. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

OK, mine should be similar. Did you use a 7mm drill bit or completely remove the circular part in the center?

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I drilled the 4 mm then i didnt have the metric but i needed...i want to say i counterbored the 4mm with a 9/64 but honestly i cant recall.

11. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

OK. I'll hold off on that part untill the hotend arrives.

Geof likes this.
  12. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I forgot to post an update, I did have to use the 7mm to bore out a hole for the push fit on the E3D.

mark tomlinson likes this.