1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Titan Dual Extruder Direct Drive?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by regor, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. regor

regor Member

Is it possible to mount the titan extruders in a dual mount, but for direct drive instead of bowden? I haven't seen any mounts on thingiverse or anyone talking about it. I know novice expert has the dual bowden set up, but I have two V6's and like direct drive better. I would assume it can be done, but I'm really no good on designing anything other than tinkercad and even then my designs are all but to be desired.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I would think so. You would have one facing the right and one facing the left from back to front. The hotend hold position of the Titan is offset so would allow to put the two hotends close together on the carriage. You would need to design a new carriage and such. You should check out Fusion 360. It is free for students, and free for hobbyists that don't make more than 100K. You can import the solid works version of the modular x carriage @Mike Kelly has out there into Fusion 360 and go from there. All the dimensions needed for the Titan are supplied by E3D. I see this as a great project for you to start learning design if you want to do dual titans. That's what is great about 3d printing...prototyping. You might even want to offset the hotends so that they aren't exactly inline front to back. Have them to one side or the other so that the motors (which can be as little as 20mm deep pancake motors) don't stick off the carriage too much. Just need to figure out the x carriage belt holder and the endstop solution.

3. regor

regor Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like a challenge for this old timer.

4. danzca6

Haha... Well if you like that challenge you'll love dual extrusion with the Robo. Do you have the R1+? If so they threw in a little wrinkle with the Ramps board configuration. There aren't any open drivers. You can get an expansion but keep that in mind. What is your need for going with duals?

5. regor

regor Member

Robo R1 with lead screw and titan upgrades. Why duals? Like to tinker.

6. danzca6

Another approach to the design for this is a hybrid. I see with the E3D BigBox for duals that some are using the Titan as a direct drive for the primary hotend and using Bowden for the secondary. This reduces some weight on the carriage as well as space. Direct drive will get you better control and less hassle. The second extruder being Bowden, for some applications, is perfectly acceptable. It still can give a nice print, but might have more tinkering needed. Just food for thought. I love tinkering. Keeps my brain working on all of the "what if" questions that come up.

7. regor

regor Member

Now that almost sounds the best of both world's, really like that idea. I know you hear a lot about the advantages of one vs the other, but having both co-existing together sounds real good. Have to investigate that. Well, my brain is totally washed away some where, seems I always look at the difficult way of doing things, that's why my wife of fifty years marriage usually has the more common sense of approaching problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.