1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Anyone else get a refurbished printer?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by gobblinfool, Sep 8, 2016.

1. gobblinfool

gobblinfool Member

I ordered a refurbished printer so I could have some uptime printing since my other r1+ is down.. the 1 I got came with a carriage rod that was popped out of the holes on the screws, limit switch that was popped out of place off of the nut and broken wires on the limit switch. The nozzle has some kind of filament melted/burned on it and the tape on the bottom of the bed is all beat up. Doesn't seem quite refurbished to me.. so needless to say I have another printer and no uptime printing.. hopefully they send me a replacement

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I can't way what your chances are of getting a replacement, but if you want to tackle fixing it we can probably get you going.

Geof likes this.
  3. gobblinfool

gobblinfool Member

I just don't want more work.. I ordered it to have a printer that was working so I could work with the other 1 that's not working.. just more frustration

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would not be jumping on a refurb assuming it was 100%, but I am jaded.

Geof likes this.
  5. gobblinfool

gobblinfool Member

just got the word from them.. they say that this printer was one of the last ones done by a tech who was let go from the company.. they're sending me a replacement

Geof and Rigmarol like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sweet! Good on them.

Geof likes this.
  7. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Oh, then don't even think about removing the bottom cover...who knows what he left in there for you. :eek:

Geof likes this.
  8. gobblinfool

gobblinfool Member

hahaha .. I will say they have great support.. I just wish I didn't need so much of it

Geof likes this.
  9. danzca6

I agree that they do have great support. I bought a refurbished R1 last summer and wasn't expecting them to replace anything since I assumed it was an AS IS sale. Called them about a couple issues I was having and they sent me replacement parts for free. It's been working like a champ ever since.

Geof, Rigmarol, KTMDirtFace and 2 others like this.
  10. nytcrawlr

nytcrawlr New Member

Hey all! First post here and just got my refurb R1+ yesterday along with a MatterControl T10. Just wanted to say, its prints beautifully, three prints in and each one so impressive.

I generally like refurbs in general as I always assumed they get a better QA before heading out the door. Just wanted to chime in and say don't let the word "refurb" scare you - I couldn't be happier with mine!

gobblinfool likes this.
  11. MiguelLancaster

MiguelLancaster New Member

I just got mine delivered.

Extruder seems as though it might not be installed straight, and also has burnt on filament on the hot end. There is no sample spool of filament in the box either. What else should I be looking for, as I fear that I may also have received a unit refurbished by that same employee...

With no filament I can't even test the unit.

12. danzca6

Welcome and couldn't agree more. Robo actually refurbished their printers in house. They seem to get more attention to qa than the ones assembled and shipped from whomever they sub to do production runs. Glad you are enjoying it. Hope that fancy tablet ends up being with it for you.

13. danzca6

Contact Robo and they'll send you some. Filament on the hotend happens. Not a sign of a lemon yet. Check over and make sure nothing looks broken. You can still turn it on and going it up to see if everything moves correctly.

14. gobblinfool

gobblinfool Member

my replacement is being shipped at the moment.. hopefully it doesn't arrive in pieces like the last 1

15. MiguelLancaster

MiguelLancaster New Member

Turned it on and everything seems to at least move around and heat up mostly correctly. Burned on filament, even though it may not cause an issue, just seems like it would have/should have been cleaned up during the refurb process. Called Support and they created a ticket for me about the missing spool of filament, but sales won't see it until Monday or Tuesday so that's a bit of a bummer that I'll have to wait for them to respond to the ticket as well as continue waiting for the filament to arrive.

I could just order a spool of PLA from Amazon and receive it much faster, I'm sure, but it's pretty disappointing that I'm stuck with a printer that I can't even test out now.

On another note: What are the main differences between the R1 and R1 Plus? What should I be looking for to make sure that my unit has received all of the proper upgrades?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

R1+ has leadscrews not threaded rods.
    That is the main functional difference although there are some other minor things you wouldn't notice (because they do not affect the operation or quality of the printer).

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I cant speak for the spools they send with the refurb but the sample spool is some wierd stuff. Id go ahead with the amazon order. It will save you some headaches tweaking to make it work.

18. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Congrats all on the new printers!
    Nozzles with shmutz on them is normal. With a refirb you just got someone elses shmutz instead of making your own. No big deal.

My suggestion is to bring the nozzle up to print temp then take a rag or paper towel and wife it off really good. Then you can make your own shmutz yourself. Yeah, it would have been nice to have someone clean it up for you before hand but they didn't, life goes one, and it has absolutely no impact on your printer.

You really should just buy some filament from Amazon. The sample I got was brittle and my first purchased roll printed so much nicer.

19. Jutte

Jutte Member

I bought a refurb several months ago and I have been very happy with it.

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  20. gobblinfool

gobblinfool Member

my replacement came.. needs work but looks ok... no broken wires or busted carriage.. carriage was incredibly crooked though.. but leveling will need to be done anyways

Geof likes this.