1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D v6 Information, Installation Guides, and Review

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Mike Kelly, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Horan

Scott Horan New Member

Great install guide. Thanks!

2. cbnlnk121

cbnlnk121 New Member

So I've red the guide and I'm a little confused how the E3D head is suppose to stay on. I've drilled the #20 hole for the PTFE but the 9/16 hole won't be large enough to seat the top properly. It appears that I also won't have enough material to hold the hotend straight and securely. Thoughts/suggestions? P_20160908_220557_1_p.jpg P_20160908_220612_1_p.jpg P_20160908_220631_1_p.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

3. cbnlnk121

cbnlnk121 New Member

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That doesn't appear to be an e3d or if it is (or isn't) you have abodes connector on top and you shouldn't as robo is direct drive. www.printedsolid.com is a genuine e3d reseller. Get from him to be sure what your getting. @Printed Solid is also a member here

cbnlnk121 likes this.
  5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You should always buy from a certified seller of e3d. If that link is what you bought then they sent you the wrong thing. It's fulfilled by Amazon, so contact then explaining that you didn't get what was pictured. Not screwed unless you don't get an exchange or refund.

Looks like you got a Bowden adapter on top and you don't need that. It would exolain why it's not fitting correctly.

What version of the Robo do you have? That old hotend isn't a hex hotend. So I'm curious.

cbnlnk121 and Geof like this.
  6. cbnlnk121

cbnlnk121 New Member

HAHA .. yeah the Hotend is a borrow from a friend. I picked up this Robo3D beta as a screaming deal. $150! So it was only missing the hotend. The let me borrow it for testing and such. It's been great while waiting for (what I thought) was a genuine E3D.

Anyways, I guess I'll have to try and return this one with Amazon and reorder via @Printed Solid. Funny thing is I only paid $67 for it and now that same link is listed for $84. Thanks, I had a feeling something was up.

Geof likes this.
  7. cbnlnk121

cbnlnk121 New Member

The odd thing is it's listed as a Direct 12V. So I thought it was when I got it. Well, lesson learned.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can't go wrong with @Printed Solid, I've bought everything from nozzles to filament to printers and have never had a bad experience

#668 Geof, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    mark tomlinson and cbnlnk121 like this.
  9. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Just weighing in here. wow. @cbnlnk121 the item you were sent is definitely not an e3d V6 and the product page is definitely for an E3D V6. Heater block is the wrong size, it is wrapped in kapton, there is no step down diameter in the heat break, the nozzle is the wrong geometry, and of course the already mentioned fitting at the top.

This is a new low in counterfeit V6. The alibaba clones are one thing. At least you're getting what is picture. In your case, you were shown pictures of an authentic E3D V6 and the seller did not ship that. You should report it to Amazon for fraud and request a refund for being significantly different than described. I'd also send a message to e3d describing what happened so that they are aware of this new method of selling counterfeits.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  10. cbnlnk121

cbnlnk121 New Member

Well, I did contact Amazon and included a picture of the item I received. The return was approved within hours. I put it back in it's original padded envelope (yep, fogot to mention that part) and slapped on the Amazon given shipping return label. The mail person accepted the package so the refund won't be received until they get it back. So, I'll be watching it like a hawk.

I will say thank you to @Printedsolid (you) for even contacting after ordering the correct one. I received a nice email stating the silicone sock was out of stock and if I'd like to wait. Of course I said yes and looking forward to getting and installing it all.
    Again, thanks for everyone's help on this. I really thought I was going crazy when it didn't fit right and the red flag went up.

Geof and Printed Solid like this.
  11. cbnlnk121

cbnlnk121 New Member

Oh, and what the email contact for E3D? I have no problem writing them to tell them about what happened. I'm sure they'd like to know anyway.

12. danzca6

Geof, cbnlnk121 and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

i ordered that one too. It is not an E3dv6. I emailed back and forth with the sellers but they didn't do anything for me until I contacted Amazon through their A to Z guarantee claim, then I got a full refund and then bought the real thing from printed solid.

Geof likes this.
  14. danzca6

I just saw this again and loved it....thought those reading about the V6 and its evolution would enjoy. Remember that the new R1+ and maybe some newer R1s have cartridge style thermistors. The new heat block on the V6 series will take that just fine. So you can use your stock thermistor and heat cartridge if you prefer. That also means NO firmware change required. Cheers!

15. 0ryanx

0ryanx New Member

I've tried the firmware change for the V6 hot end, but ran into a problem; once installed, I can't change the EEPROM settings to calibrate the Z-Steps on the extruder. How do I change the firmware manually, without the one listed?

16. 0ryanx

0ryanx New Member

Never mind; I altered the Configuration_h tab within the V2 firmware on Robo3D's website and uploaded it.

17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

18. Bryn

Bryn New Member

I am upgrading to the E3DV6 with the new thermistor cartridge (ordered from PrintedSolid). I have installed it am an attempted to update my firmware as previously described in this thread.

I have a R1 and am using the Robo3dR1V2_M8_E3D.zip file. When I click on the upload button in Arduino I get the following error message:
    error: exit status 1
    using typedef-name 'fpos_t' after 'struct'

I am not sure if the upload succeeded or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Old firmware, new compiler.
    I had fixed this for someone else, but I don't think I saved it.

It is a change in the compiler so the source has to be tweaked a little.

And no, it did not compile, much less upload.

20. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Don't use the v2 firmware. Use the"leadscrew update" firmware. I scratched my head for a long time trying to figure that out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.