1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved E3d pt100 problems.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by zolagg, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zolagg

zolagg New Member

I'm havingtrouble using the pt100 temp sensor from e3d on my robo 3d r1 plus. I have followed installation directions exactly changing firmware where noted checking all wiring and even using different wiring and pt100 thermistor studs but every time I start the printer up it shows a max temp error and shows the nozzle temp set to 430. I have the r1 plus model and I soldered the 3 pins to the proper area on the board. I also was able to test that there is 5v coming from the positive and negative pins that I soldered but I'm not sure how to test the signal pin coming from the board. Was wondering if anyone else is having the same problems and can give me some insight as to what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You did get the amplifier board with this correct?

3. zolagg

zolagg New Member

Yes. Sorry I forgot to mention that part. I do hook up the amplifier but that doesn't change anything with the temp display.

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

The new cartridges and PT100 look identical, at least the ones I've received. So, it's possible that they sent you the wrong item. Try holding the thermistor up to a block of ice. Measure resistance and then hold it in your hands until it warms up and measure resistance. If resistance increases, it is a PT100. If it decreases, then you got a standard cartridge by mistake.

Geof, mark tomlinson and danzca6 like this.
  5. zolagg

zolagg New Member

Wow that's some helpful information. Thanks. I will try this evening and repost.

6. zolagg

zolagg New Member

Ok so I found out I actually have both the pt100 and the cartridge thermistor. The thing is when I hook either one up nothing changes. As soon as I upload the changes from arduino the lcd screen shows a max temp error and a temp of 460. I've used different wires and no changes to the display. It goes bad as soon as I upload from arduino.

7. zolagg

zolagg New Member

I should also note that when I upload the firmware back to the stud thermistor the lcd shows 0 until I hook everything up and then itshows the actual temp usually 25.

8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

When you update the arduino... Are you making sure to send the M502 command followed by the M500? That makes sure you have refreshed the EEPROM

9. zolagg

zolagg New Member

Actually no. When I'm done making changes in the Arduino program I hook my computer to my printer with a usb cable and then hit upload. After about a minute the lcd screen refreshes showing the changes.

10. Jordan Weinrich

Jordan Weinrich New Member

Im having the same problem. Did you find a solution?

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You might want to start a new thread with the details. because: "zolagg was last seen: Mar 21, 2018"

So you are not going to get an answer from him.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is expected because it is an NTC thermsitor -> OPEN CIRCUIT = min temp (zero 0) and once you actually get a reading it restores to the correct value (MAX TEMP is the reverse -- a short circuit)

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.