1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Filament stuck in the wheel

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Amanda Galiano, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Amanda Galiano

Amanda Galiano New Member

I searched for threads on this, but all I found is filament stuck between the wheel and extruder. It's probably because I don't know the name of the little wheel, but there's a tiny piece of filament stuck in my Robo3d in the gear area where you insert the filament and then turn the wheel to load it. I can see it in there, I've touched it tweezers (but it's too small an area to grab it). I tried heating the tweezers, heating a needle, pushing it with a needle/tweezers. It won't come out when you turn the wheel either way, I've tried loading other filament but it won't run through. I took the extruder out and tried to get to it from the bottom.

Is there anything else I can try? Is that part easy to disassemble?

I've had it for almost a year, and I've never had this problem. My last print seemed to be fine. I heated the head and took the filament out and I haven't loaded it in a month or so.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Hope morning Amanda

Do you happen to have a picture for clarification? One thing to try is to unscrew the tension bolts in the back of the extruder and free them from the lever so you can pull the lever down. Not sure if you would be able to get to it easier from what you described. If I saw a pic of how our what's it is stuck I could help more. Hopefully you won't have to take everything apart, but if so we can help guide you through that if needed. Cheers!

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you remove the two spring loaded screws to open the feed?

Geof likes this.
  4. Amanda Galiano

Amanda Galiano New Member

I did not remove the screws. I'll look up how to do that and give it a try. I think if I could open the feed, I could grab it (I know which screws you mean, but I didn't know if I should remove them or if the whole thing would fall apart when I did).

I tried to take a photo, but you can't really see what's going on.

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You might be able to pull the screws up if you loosen them without taking them all the way off. Either way they are easy to put back. Just need to be mindful of the tension when you put it back together.

6. Jaime

Jaime New Member

If you have a jam, the filament will get stuck around the hobbed bolt at times. Remove the filament. Clean the bolt with a pick. Check your temperature. Clogged tend to be undertaken related. This could also be misalignment of your filament. Run it by hand. If it extruded it is not a clog. If that is the case, your filament is wandering to the sides due to misalignment and wrapping itself around the hobbed bolt. This means that you need to ensure that the tensioner guide is not worn out or simply too loose.

Fix the guide so that it keeps the filament perpendicular to the hobbed bolt.apply good tension to the tensioner springs. The springs these things came with are weak. Get a nicer stronger sprint. Also sand off the threads that come in contact with the springs or they aren't really being springs.