1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Having trouble with first layers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MiguelLancaster, Sep 21, 2016.

1. MiguelLancaster

MiguelLancaster New Member

On every shape that I attempt to print, I'm having a lot of trouble getting the beginning layers to print correctly. The resulting print, which should be symmetrical on both top and bottom, ends up with one side too short.

I've been using this as a test print with mixed results. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:941177

So for that shape specifically, I'll end up with one side of legs that are 20-40% shorter than the legs that print at the top of the shape (at the end of the printing process)

I've watched closely as the printer begins its process on this shape and others, and it almost looks like the starting layers don't extrude enough filament -- just very, very thin layers, so thin that they almost seem transparent.

I'm so far just using Matter Control 1.5 and tweaking settings from the presets Low, Med, High.

Unrelated question: are these wires supposed to be disconnected?
    http://imgur.com/a/H2c6r

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is likely your Z offset too low. BUT, fixing that will only fix the first layer.
    You might want to post a picture of the problem, I am not sure from the description alone what might be going on.
    What printer (exactly) do you have? There are the beta, the R1 w5/16 rods (rare), the R1 w/8mm rods (common) and the R1+

Have you at any point updated the firmware and if so which one did you use?

3. MiguelLancaster

Here are some photos http://imgur.com/a/nla4c

I'm using a refurbished R1+ - this is only my second day printing with it so I'm starting from the beginning.

I haven't updated any firmware, but being a refurb unit I was under the assumption that it would be up to date. Perhaps not, though, as it shipped with an old Matter Control (v 1.3) and a 'Getting Started' video dated from 2015.
    edit: firmware shows as ROBO3DR1PLUSV2 in Matter Control, which is the most recent I can find on the ROBO3D website.

Any idea about those loose wires in my original post?

#3 MiguelLancaster, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Can you take some pictures for other angles? I can't tell specifically what those are suppoed to be connected to, but no... you should not have 'extra' wires.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is probably fine. Some folks just get it in their head that they need to update and then they use the incorrect firmware :)

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

@Geof any ideas on these loose wires for an R1+?

7. MiguelLancaster

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ah yes, they go to the Z axis home switch on that side. You can see the on on the right (in the picture) and the wires to the one on the left should be connected the same way.

9. MiguelLancaster

Thanks, wired it back up just light on the right side (red wire left, black wire right). Hope that's alright.

Does anyone else encounter that if they open Matter Contol, start a print, and then finish or cancel it that the manual control buttons for all three axes of movement are no longer responsive? I always have to restart Matter Control to regain movement controls.

I've also noticed that, no matter the situation, the Minus (-) controls for any axis - X, Y, Z - are never responsive until a positive movement has first been made, and then it will only allow me to move back as many times as I've moved forward. I'm assuming that this is just a safeguard feature to keep from damaging a motor or cracking the bed.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Wire colors don't matter (it is a switch) just make sure it is on the same terminals as the other one.

Sorry, can't speak for MatterControl :) Someone else can chime in.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey guys sorry to be late to the party. A stuck switch would do what your experiencing on your +. Id give her another shot with the wire hooked up and let us know the outcome. When i used matter control it didnt act how you describe.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. cosber

cosber Active Member

Mine is doing that also. My printer was dialed in for over a year, not having to do any adjustments, it was like heaven. Then one print the filament got twisted and it pulled the z up to the top and grinded away for I don't know how long before I checked on the print and stopped it. When I untangled the filament, the z crashed to the bed. I don't think it's a coincidence that since then I also couldn't go minus on any of the axis'. I haven't been able to get a good 1st layer for my life.