1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Chewing Filament When Printing Benchy

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Brendan Fennell, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Brendan Fennell

Brendan Fennell New Member

So I've been trying to dial in my e3d v6 with the .25mm nozzle, and I'm having a repeating problem. I'm trying to print Benchy, the little boat test print, and my extruder will not finish the job. In almost the same spot on the boat, every time, it eats up the filament and fails to extrude.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the complexity of the layer, all of the different islands and maybe the retractions, but I don't know for sure. I'm hoping someone has some ideas? the print goes very smoothly up until this point, and I've printed other basic shapes without any problem. The hobbed bolt is lined very well with the PTFE tube, so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

im assuming PLA? Are you using an oiler? Could be your speed is getting the best of you. what speed are you trying to print at with the .25 nozzle? Speed has a direct relation with resolution. for example. .4 nozzle .2 layers on my machine between 50-75mm/s print speed. .25 nozzle with .05 layers 15-25 mm/s. I'm sure I could push it but thats reliable with good resolution.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, you should slow down linear with the nozzle resolution (same for layer resolution, but true for the nozzle as well).

4. Brendan Fennell

Okay, cool. Thanks for the tips. I am using PLA, and I'm not using an oiler, but I've been printing for a while never needing one. I'm printing at about 50-60 mm/s, so I'll slow it down (0.1mm layer height). I'll go down to 20mm/s to see if that helps, and update you when the print finishes/fails.

WheresWaldo, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Brendan Fennell

No dice. It made it a little farther, but still wasn't close to finished. (it may look significantly farther, but that's because I ripped off all the ruined parts of the other prints). And just to rule out the possibility, I AM cleaning the extruder out after each of these incidents. I printed everything at 20mm/s, which is slower than I print ninjaflex. Any more ideas?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Time to season your nozzle or add an oiler.
    Too easy to do not to rule it out and that is the sort of behavior it is meant to treat (only with PLA is it really needed)

7. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Take a look at all of your retraction settings. Because to me it looks like the printer is shredding filament when there are too many retraction points too close together.

8. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I have nothing to add but I have a question; what is the white tubing for? Mine doesn't have that.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

PTFE tube, included with E3D.
    Makes it a smooth transition from heatsink to heat break section.

If you leave it long enough it helps with flexible filaments too :)

10. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks.

11. Brendan Fennell

So I started a test again with a different filament just in case, the purple has always felt different than my other rolls of PLA, soft instead of slick. I'll post a picture below, though the prints turn out the same as any other PLA so far as I can tell. If this doesn't work, I'm going to eliminate retraction, because that's what I suspected was causing the problem. I'm not disregarding the oiler, I just don't have the sponge and oil on hand to try it. I'm going to print one out soon as I get back to the store to pick up the stuff. I'll let you guys know how this print goes when it's finished.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here's the filament in question with some of my other PLA. Hopefully the pictures show the difference in texture of the filaments. This is the only filament I have that looks and feels like this, so hopefully that's the issue.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All you really need is the oil, some paper towel and tape to make a poor mans oiler.

Geof likes this.
  13. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Funny how you never seem to need something until you do. :) Hopefully a bit of oil will help. Never seen it that bad though. Have you done any calibration to your extruder steps?

14. Brendan Fennell

Sorry about the time between updates, I've been busy with school. When I changed only the filament, it had no effect on the print. My most recent adjustment was turning off retraction in my prints, and that seemed to do the trick. I managed to print two Benchy's and I'm working on a cable chain for the printer right now, all without any problems like before! Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it![​IMG] [​IMG]

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.