1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Had a power outage tonight

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Rigmarol, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I had started a print and gone into the kitchen to clean up after dinner and after about 20 minutes the power went out. The whole block went out I found out later. It was out for only a minute or less and came back on. I holler out "there goes my print".

I finish with the kitchen clean up and found this waiting on the build plate all proud of itself:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm going to keep it, its rather interesting. I'm completely surprised it didn't just fail.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You need a UPS so those short outages don't make you loose a print. Ultimately we need to get where you can resume a print easier after an outage. Some printers are coming with that feature now. I've seen some other tricks folks have done as well for resuming a print. Here's an example.

3. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

my power flashed for a second the other day due to thunderstorm. My computer rebooted my tv rebooted. The Robo3d somehow kept going and did fine.

I dont have a UPS.

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

For the cost of a small UPS it is worth the insurance :)

JohnShuba, JoshYourITGuy and danzca6 like this.
  5. danzca6

Exactly! Not just for a power outage either. Keeps from harming electronics from spikes and brown outs.

6. Morichalion

Morichalion Member

Hmm... Maybe that's what happened to mine last night. I was printing a spider-themed medallion thing. I had started it late last night, and couldn't stay up to finish it. So I let it go.

It was off when I got up. Bed and nozzle were both cool.

7. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I might do that (UPS) but it isn't high on the list. This is all for fun at this point, not making money printing. If I were then you bet, UPS would already be in place but too many other things I want to spend money on right now.

After the event I posted on originally, I loaded up a multi model print and went to bed. Power must have dipped again during the night, I woke up to a full build plate of "jogged" models LOL. About 35 yards into the trash can. Still it's interesting to look at.

I'm thinking when the power went out the carriage "coasted" and then started up again where it coasted to.
    Interesting.

8. danzca6

@Printed Solid has a good write-up about this as well...might be helpful. https://printedsolid.com/blogs/news/printrecovery

For fun or business really doesn't matter when dealing with protection of electronics and the investment you already made. I always use a UPS on my expensive electronics just to protect them from bad power. The good thing about a UPS is it has several ports and can help protect more than one device near your printer. Got mine for less than $40. Black Friday always has them on sale these days. Just a thought.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. Windflily

Windflily New Member

Good job.