1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Oisin
    Thank you for the write up, I knew it was probably something simple, I just couldn't figure out what it was and the time to investigate wasn't available to me.

2. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just an FYI, I just tested compilation with Arduino IDE 1.16.12 and it appears to compile without any errors.

If RC8 doesn't appear by October 15th I will release another set of RCBugFix preconfigured builds.

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Yep...ABL works like a charm now with RC7 and the IR. I think I will make a couple tweaks still, but it lays the first layer finally. I'll also see over time if I notice any improvement with the BILINEAR routine. Thank guys.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. ProfessorPinky

Thank you. I saw that is was stopping at the LCD file but wasn't sure if that was it. I thought maybe it had something to do selecting Arduino 2560 and not being able to locate "Arduino 2540" as per the instructions but I am thinking that is a typo that has been carried over from previous post.
    I didn't occur to be to search the thread for "U8glib.h". If I had done so I would have found the answer there. Should have been in bed instead of falling asleep at the computer.

Can you or someone kindly point me in the direction of where I can find the steps about setting up MESH leveling?
    Does it require or make it easier to use a LCD controller?
    Full Graphics LCD Controller vs Smart LCD Controller XXL, which is better? Or just stick with OctoPi?

Sorry for the additional questions and please let me know if I should post the questions in a separate post and I'll edit this post.

Thanks again.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The Marlin Wiki has a short article on MESH
    LCD makes it infinitely easier, but it can be done from the terminal screen from OctoPi

ProfessorPinky likes this.
  6. ProfessorPinky

@WheresWaldo Do you know if there is a way to get the bed to be locked in place while performing the manual mesh bed leveling. Sometimes a finger sticks to the bed when sliding the paper back and forth which makes the bed move a bit. Just tried moving the x-carriage and and it also moves. I would have thought it would be locked by the motor.
    I will just have to be more careful I guess but I am hoping I am missing something.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Since the motors are not turned off during the MESH procedure, the bed shouldn't move. Maybe, and this is just a guess, there is some adjustment to the driver pots to increase the amperage slightly to the motor. That might hold it more stable.

8. ProfessorPinky

I tried to get a video of what is was doing but I tried twice and each time the bed and x-carriage wouldn't budge. If it happens again I will try to see what was different. It has happened twice so far.

9. danzca6

Good thing MESH leveling is only needed once and not for every print. That is odd that it moved on you, but hopefully you can get it done now with the motors being locked appropriately. Cheers!

WheresWaldo likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am currently trying to keep up with RCBugFix and the myriad of changes that seem to fill Configuration.h every week. There are some reports of BILINEAR auto bed leveling not working as it should but I can't tell if it is on Cartesian or Delta printers or both. As much as I enjoy doing this for our community, I really wish the focus was more on finally stabilizing Marlin 1.1.0 instead of rewriting and reorganizing the remaining code.

That said, I am really looking forward to Uniform Bed Leveling (UBL) as I have read good things about it. The primary contributor of UBL, Roxy-3D, has promised to consolidate the code bases as soon as or shortly after RC8 is released. I think it will be of big benefit to all those that aren't wanting to jump straight to MESH.

Now if we could only get Michal Prusa to port his work to 1.1.0.

As @danzca6 points out, MESH is just like a set and forget type of leveling, I even experimented with physically unleveling my X axis by pushing down on one side while the printer was off. The result was a skewed X Axis, then I took my dial gauge and releveled just the X across the middle of the Y Axis (typically where I make sure it is level) and I did not redo the MESH leveling procedure. Once X was level again I printed a test object. The result was the layer needed a small offset (< 0.1mm) to make the first layer perfect but otherwise it was even all round the bed. The MESH was still good and usable even without the offset.

#710 WheresWaldo, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    danzca6 likes this.
  11. danzca6

I've been using BILINEAR for about a week and has been doing well. Still not enough feedback to the terminal window the way it is so you can see what the z reading is at the probe points, but first layers are looking good. I'm interested in seeing more about UBL. I really should just take the next step and MESH things up with my printer. Set it and forget it.

12. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

I'm having nothing but issues since the update. Haven't changed anything other then re-autotuning the pids For the addition of an aluminum bed. I keep getting an error heating failure kill message

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@anngeelow81 Please elaborate, there is not enough information here to even suggest what might be happening.

14. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

@WheresWaldo sorry about that lol. so whats happening is i set it up to heat up, and 9 times out 10 my lcd gets an error message. the error message says:
    Error:Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0
    Error:printer halted. kill() called!

i have no clue why. the one thing that has changed is that i installed an aluminum bed, but reused the silicone heater pad that ive been using for a while. i ran autotuning on the pid, put in those values, and went with it.

on another note, in trying to fix this issue, ive commented out pid for the bed and used the stock pid values that were in the files in the beginning. ive ran the printer 3 times so far, and it failed once.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Heater_ID:0 is the extruder not the bed. Are you using RC7 or RCBugFix? Is the parts fan blowing on the part being printed or does it blow, even partially on the hotend?

anngeelow81 likes this.
  16. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

im using the bug fix, i have a m3 stud thermister installed. the fans blow on the print, but i did do a larger fan (40x10) across the heat sink

17. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

randomly enough @WheresWaldo, based off your last response I swapped out the fan back to the one that comes with the e3dv6, and the duct i had for the 40 must have touched the heater block at some point, and air was blowing right onto it. thank you

WheresWaldo and Rigmarol like this.
  18. NateTheApe

NateTheApe New Member

So after fighting with MESH leveling, then realizing that ABL wasn't acting right for awhile...It turns out you were right @WheresWaldo; The left limit switch was certainly triggered. After reassembling my printer when I installed the E3D V6 and Titan I must have moved the block that holds the Z-limit switch down on the nut because the switch was about half triggered and a hair could trigger it. After moving it ABL worked just fine.

Gave MESH a try today! I LOVE IT! And being able to babystep is a savior to keep from having to restart a print due to Z being to far or close to the bed. Keep up the good work on these and I'll let you know if I find any issues while using it.

WheresWaldo likes this.
  19. NateTheApe

NateTheApe New Member

I ran into this same issue with the V6, at first I just tuned my fans down to 75% to resolve it. Then I installed the silicon sock from E3D and I have been able to run my fans at 100% ever since.

EDIT: Err I just realized you were talking about the heatsink fan :( sorry.

20. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

Crazy right. Never thought I'd see the day this thing was running TOO efficient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.