1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Not Printing Right

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jogul, Oct 14, 2016.

1. jogul

jogul Member

My Robo R1 has started printing poorly. I've included a photo. Any idea what is causing this? I am printing at medium quality. PLA. 210/50.

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That looks bad, do you use an oiler with pla, have you calibrated the extruder ? 210 seems hot for pla.

3. jogul

jogul Member

No oiler. Never have had one. Never calibrated the extruder either. 210 has worked in the past but I can lower it and see if that helps. This seemed to occur after my extruder fan fell out. When I went to put it back in place i accidently hit the moving blades (forgot they were still moving) and damaged them. Now the fan vibrates and you can feel the vibration in the x rods. Could that be causing the problem?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd replace that fan to start. They need to run at full speed to prevent issue

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The smaller, all-metal extruders absolutely require the cooling fan on the extruder to work or they will fail to print.

Geof likes this.
  6. jogul

jogul Member

This is maybe a dumb question, I notice I can turn the z axis coupler independent of the screw rod. Souldn't it be locked in place. I checked the set screws and they are tight.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bad coupler.
    I used cyanoacrylate to glue the rod in one of mine :)

You can wrap the end of the rod with tape and then tightening it if you don't want to glue it.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto

Edit- on my home build i went crazy and used jb weld on the threadside then ran the set screws in. They are essentially one piece now because i had the same issues with my back up couplers lol

#8 Geof, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  9. jogul

jogul Member

I used tape on the threads and now the rod does not turn relative to the coupler. Hoping that will solve the problem. Will try it out shortly.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

The stock couplers that come on the R1 are designed to squeeze the threaded rod. I was never a fan. They also sell couplers like https://amzn.com/B00KHTVOEU (or better yet solid couplers like this https://amzn.com/B0176G1O78) where the set screws actually go into the rod and the stepper shaft at two points each. The stepper shafts already have the dual flats that make this work great. You can either use the threaded rod as is or take it one step further and grind a similar dual flat v shape into the end. Just another option if anyone wanted to go down that path. Either way, adding a bit of lock tite blue to the set screws help keep them in place.

Now the best option is to upgrade to leadscrews that are integrated directly into the steppers that Robo sells as an upgrade...when in stock. There actually is a way to take the stock steppers apart and just add the leadscrew in this manner, but I won't get into that right now.

11. jogul

jogul Member

Printing has improved quite a bit by taking care of the slippage between the z rods and the couplers. What I did was take an aluminum pie pan and cut a thin strip from the bottom of the pan. I pushed the strip into the coupler hole as far as it would go. Then I dropped the rod in, tightened the set screw and trimmed off the excess aluminum strip. Working well so far.

12. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

That's a good example of using what you have to solve a problem.

13. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm.... Pie....

danzca6 likes this.