1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

What's your opinion on Flexion extruder retrofit kit?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by CJH, Oct 15, 2016.

1. CJH

CJH Member

Hi all,

I am thinking about printing flexible filament and have been studying the thread about it. Tried the pen tube mod a bit. But it doesn't look like a very permanent solution. The plastic pen tube doesn't last very long I think.

Isn't there a better and more permanent solution out there?

So I can across this Flexion kit:

https://flexionextruder.com/shop/single/

Does anyone know whether it can be made to fit Robo3d R1 Plus? What's your opinion on it? No better than pen tube/brass tube mod? Waste of time to be investigating or investing into this kit? The latest Robo3D R2 or C2 can do flexible filament better?

If I want to swap print between PLA and flexible without too much trouble. Any thought?

Thanks, CJ

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi cj. I use an e3dv6 and a promethius v2 and print both pla and flexibles without much hassle.

3. CJH

CJH Member

This maybe a very dumb question but I thought it's important to have supported path both before and after the feeding bolt?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Not a dumb question both hotends use a ptfe tube, i take it all the way above the hobbled bolt and notch out the tibe for the hobbled bolt. This gives me the full supported path

jim3Dbot and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Another option is to look at installing the Titan extruder from E3D. That does give a PTFE guided path into the extruder and down into the E3D hotend. I've heard folks having great success with the Titan printing all types of filament including the flexibles.

I can't remember the forum user that just recently made a mount and upgraded to the flexion. He really liked it, but can't remember his name off the top of my head and if he did flexibles on it yet.

EDIT: @teknoprep was the user I was thinking of.

jim3Dbot and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. CJH

CJH Member

Thanks for suggesting Titan Extruder. I like it. I have a stocked R1 Plus that should be able to retrofit with it. I wonder if any one has done it and could provide an instruction. Flexion is nice too but can't hand guide the filament. Going to spend a few days at least to study them...

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

9. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I have a Titan Extruder on both of my Robo's.

Prints flexible well, the only gotcha I found was keep the tension screw about one turn from full loose. When I made it too tight it has trouble.

I used a simple design I copied from Thomas on youtube...
    thingiverse Link.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1530555

And I'm using YOGI's design on my other robo.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1557214

jim3Dbot, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. CJH

CJH Member

Hi KTMDirtFace,

with the Titan setup, what is the speed you were able to print with the flexible? And did you turn off retraction?

Thanks, CJ

11. KTMDirtFace

I haven't used it a lot with flexibles, but yes I turned retraction off. and Printed at 30mm/s using NinjaFlex. I think it could print faster, but I haven't tested it. Also I only have ninja flex, which is probably the hardest to print with.. its really flexy

[​IMG]

12. KTMDirtFace

FYI this was printed at 60mm/s on my Modified Replicator 2 which I no longer own. In ninja flex. no retraction. Also NEVER print ninja flex to buildTak.. lol it wont come off! Actually glue stick helps ninja flex not stick as crazy to the bed. So If you have build tak or some other crazy sticky surface, put glue stick on when doing flexibles so it Does Not stick as bad :)

I think the robo with titan could do it now...but I have not tried.

[​IMG]