1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved smooth rod lengths?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jediknight0, Oct 14, 2016.

1. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

Does anyone know the length of the smooth rods in a stock R1? My Z axis smooth rods are definitely damaged (probably from before the lead screw upgrade) and I'm finally getting around to wanting to replace them... maybe the X & Y as well.

I know the diameter is 8mm and I know the Y rods are 14inches long but don't know the others.

Thanks.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I do not know, but if nobody else does either give robo a call they should know. I always buy a long rod and use a cut off wheel to cut to length the rod i need :)

3. jediknight0

Would a standard re-inforced dremel cut-off wheel cut through a standard smooth rod?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know, they are pretty hard. I use a chop saw with a grinding disk lol

danzca6 likes this.
  5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

For sizes of parts on the Robo R1 please refer to http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:729956. Download the files and use the latest 2016 version of eDrawings from Solid Works to open and inspect the parts and assemblies Mike has supplied. Or...just pull the Z smooth rod out and measure it. They are not hard to remove and install. One change in the Robos over time was that they didn't always go all the way to the top of the case and seat into the top support holes. So the lengths have changed. Just some things to think about. I always refer to Mikes models when getting dimensions. Most always 100% spot on...actually don't recall finding any of them that weren't spot on.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. jediknight0

FYI, I have a support case open with Robo3D. I'm getting confusing answers so far.

They say all the rods are the same (X, Y, & Z) at 304mm long. Just the visible portion of my Z rods are longer than that, so I'm sure they are wrong. I've been going back and forth a few times with them and I'm waiting for their latest response.

I'll look into the files you mentioned above.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No one has measured it for you. If I get a chance today I will measure the Z rods. But I have been messing with a Computer rebuild, Marlin Firmware, trying to rearrange my workspace. Just too much to do.

8. danzca6

Well I was trying to teach him how to fish instead of just throwing out the answer. :)

Smooth rod lengths from @Mike Kelly solidwork drawings:
    X = 304mm
    Y = 355mm
    Z = 377mm

Again, you can just pull one off of your printer and measure it pretty quick to verify. Not sure if your Z axis rods go all the way into the lid or not.

jediknight0, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  9. jediknight0

Point taken. ;)

I looked into installing the eDrawing viewer but the installer said it would need to replace files in use by Simplify3D and 2 other programs. That spooked me...

Thanks! appreciate the help.

The X size lines up with what Robo3D support said. The others do not. :(

It's a chore. I have to empty out the tool holders I've attached to both sides of the top, disconnect the lights I attached to the top of the case, and remove it. Then disassemble the X carriage to see how far in the rods actually go beyond what's visible.

I'll be fine doing all that work once but doing all that to measure, re-assemble, order some, dis-assemble, and re-assemble just strikes me as painful.

Again, thanks for the help.

10. danzca6

I have eDrawing 2016 64bit installed with s3d with no issues.

11. danzca6

But that makes sense right? I mean our build volume is X=9", Y=10", and Z=8". So they can't all be the same length.

12. jediknight0

Yes, it totally makes sense.

I'm disappointed that Robo3D support gave me the wrong answer... even after I pressed them on the point.

Geof likes this.