1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Problems with "Pitting" in top layers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lasse Knudsen, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Lasse Knudsen

Lasse Knudsen Member

Greetings,
    i see issues with pitting when i print with few top layers, the picture shows a print printed at 0.1 mm layer height, 25% infill, With 5 top layers. if i use 10 layers the problem vanishes.

I have tried with 3 different brands of pla, and the results are similar. The picutre is with the Robo standard filament.

Anyone that knows what is going on?

-lasse

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The goal to shoot for is 1mm shell. So .1 = 1mm top, bottom, and perimeters. Anything under and you may see the pitting in that picture.

If you have to do that few of lauers increase the infill and see if you can make it amooth but it may be droopy or transparent :)

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Geof I think your math was off just a tad. 1mm is my normal goal for top layers as well. If printing at .1mm layer heights you should go for 10 top layers. With .2mm layer height then 5 top layers. So on and so forth.

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha early morning replies haha. .1=10 layers haha

5. danzca6

HAHA...before caffeine I am worthless. I was surprised to see you up so early so I figured it was just a typo. Burning both ends of the candle buddy.

Geof likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

At 25% infill you might need a layer or two more to rid yourself of the pitting in the top layer. When I use 30-40% infill I can usually get a smooth completely filled top layer at around .75 mm or .8 mm anything less and I am at 1 mm. If I try to print at 20% or less infill I need to be over 1 mm for the top layer.

Depending on layer thickness. But since I am more interested in speed over fine details I usually print with .25 mm layers using a .4 mm nozzle.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. Lasse Knudsen

Lasse Knudsen Member

Greetings, i just tried with the gcode that my coworker used, and its close enough to perfect, we are looking at 0.1 layer height and 5 top layers, and the infill was not grid, but something similar, and the slicer was simplify3d, its was sliced for a non robo3d printer, but the results are great.

Attached Files:

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id guess more infill and that using black in my experience you can get away with less layers.

9. danzca6

What was the infill percentage in you're friends gcode? Also, that looks awful thin to me. So did it even print infill or just solid layers? The other thing when sharing gcode is that robo still needs the G29 for bed probing and a defined z offset specific to your printer. Everything else is the same since it is a small part. S3D does allow for a wider range of infill patterns. Very well could be either the percentage used and the infill type that gave better bridging/fill across the infill for those top layers. Very hard to see anything black in great detail from a photo.

10. Lasse Knudsen

Lasse Knudsen Member

the part is 2mm thick and the infill my friend uses is around 20, he was not specific