1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Dual fan mod problems!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bentley, Feb 22, 2016.

1. bentley

bentley New Member

I did the dual fan mod on my R1+ and I have no idea which plug to use for the new fans. I tapped into the fan underneath the unit but now my extruder wont heat up to 210. It stops around 180 and then starts to drop....takes forever just to get up to 180. Fans are moving too much air and cooling is too effective. I searched everywhere and cannot find which plug to use for new fans. I attempted to lower the fan speed in matter control with no luck. It never responded to the on/off command even before the mod. Any help would be great!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Fans should NOT be aimed at the heater block or nozzle any way, They are for cooling the printed part... not the extruder.
    If they are blowing air on the extruder (or nozzle) then they are aimed incorrectly.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The other alternative is to put in a higher wattage heater core.
    40w is what I suggest.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Alternatively just reduce the fan speed

5. Baird Bankovic

Baird Bankovic New Member

The reason that the fan ducts would be aimed right at the extruder nozzle is so that the filament that comes out immediately hardens, making for better, more precise prints. And I don't know where to plug fans in, i am looking at just using an external power source.

6. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Not sure I understand your question. One - above, is incorrect. As Mark said, you don't want the fans pointed at the nozzle. It's the reason most of the designs have a flat or straight opening under the fan nozzle to aim the air down and not out if that makes sense.

If you are trying to hook up dual fans, why are you looking at an external source? Just wire the second one in with the first one (splice/solder).

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Uh, you do not want the filament to harden until after it is pressed into place on the output layer. If the filament were to harden too soon it would not be pretty. You certainly want it to stay well above Tg until it is totally in place. If it goes past glass transition temperature (Tg) before that it will not have a good layer bond.