1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Part cooling fan configuration.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hi guys. I'm having quite a bit of trouble cooling my parts. I would like to be able to print overhangs properly but I don't have enough knowledge on how to best set up my part fan.

The images I've uploaded show the two fan shrouds I've tried. It's really hard to find 50mm shrouds that fit properly so I printed an adapter for 40mm shrouds.

All the parts are printed in PLA at 190C

The fan is a 20CFM fan so it should cool the parts pretty well but I've noticed a lot of 'backflow' of air away from the fan. I'm assuming this is because of the constricted airflow due to the size of the shroud. This is of course going to impact cooling. Not sure what I can do about it though.

Could anyone tell me how I might be able to stop what you see in the images below and start being able to print images like these or cleaner?

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:230999
    http://www.thingiverse.com/make:120230
    http://www.thingiverse.com/make:211412

I do see the shroud configuration in the Robo picture and the overhang in that image is probably the best quality of all the images. I have an IR sensor taking up that spot so I can't use two shrouds. That's why I got the beefier 50mm fan.

Attached Files:

#1 Oisin, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

My recommendation would be to move the IR to the side. Mine mounts using the two holes on the side of the carriage and an adapter. Then you open yourself up to use a wider variety of dual fan options. A really big fan on one side still only cools one side.

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I havent breached into the IR world yet, but would not sacrifice a fan for the IR, I have a set up in such a way that the hotend cooling fan (E3DV6) is on the right side and nothing is on the left while the part cooling fans are on the front and rear. I would also lean towards installing but on the left for my configuration :D

4. Oisin

Oisin Member

Alas I come home to a fan with sheared blades. Some plastic from a bad bridge must have done it. The money-sink that is a Robo3D printer strikes again. I'll have to wait a few weeks before a replacement fan arrives. I'll start again then.

I need the IR since I use a PrintInZ plate. The hot nozzle can't touch it or it'll damage it. I'll look in to remounting it like Danzca said. I've been trying to avoid that because on one side of my extruder are all the wires and on the other side is the fan for the barrel. Not really got the space! But I'll try to reconfigure and make it work.

Should have bought a Prusa!

5. danzca6

I'll post a pic of how my IR is mounted tonight. Do you have the stock hotend or a V6? There is a generic mount for the side out there that might do well for you in the short term.

6. Oisin

Oisin Member

Yes I've got the v6.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Oisin, never to late for a prusa :)

8. Oisin

Oisin Member

I don't have the money for one at the moment. The hope is to get the Robo to a working level and sell it. Then supplement that money and buy a Prusa.

9. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

My Robo is stock.
    I'm more than a little hesitant to do "upgrades" with all the issues I've seen.
    Hope you get you issues all worked out.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The resale value on printers is pretty low, but i have seen them selling between 200 and 300 USD. That is a good chunk towards your new one.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I can assure you they arnt all problems after mods :)

12. Oisin

Oisin Member

Rigmarol, all the mods I made have improved my printer from 'very bad' to 'good sometimes'. I *think* I got a bad unit from Robo, but I was so new to 3D printing at that time that it was outside of warranty before I realised the mistake I had made. I plan on making a big post detailing all the modifications I've made and how to do them.

Geof, surely those are non-functional printers though? Those prices are crazy low for a working printer.

jim3Dbot likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Oisin its always a gamble, your buying someone elses work, but they claim to be working. A reman r1+ from robo is 400.00, kills the resale value

14. Oisin

Oisin Member

Ah yes I see that. The shipping to my country adds massive amounts on to the cost, so hopefully I won't be as limited.

Geof likes this.
  15. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

16. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hey Jim. That IR sensor is really outstanding and I admire the work you put in to it! I've only had one problem with the printer ignoring the IR sensors input spontaneously but I reloaded the firmware and redid MESH leveling and it began working again. I would like to know exactly why it started ignoring the IR sensors input so that I can prevent it happening again. Other than that, it's been performing flawlessly! I'm printing the mount Danzca mentioned as we speak so I can mount it on the side of the printer.

When the replacement 50mm fans arrive in a couple of weeks I can work on getting the cooling right so I can print overhangs. Then getting defined corners. After that I should be in good shape.

jim3Dbot likes this.
  17. jim3Dbot

jim3Dbot Active Member

Well then.......GREAT..........Hey, that danzca dude doesn't give himself e'nuf credit....follow his advise, as well as the other experienced ones here.......and the hobby is yours.........Spoke to Matt today.......ordered another lot of IR's..........as the good service provider @Printed Solid is, he mentioned you may require some assistance.............so, I looked you up.....Good luck with them big parts fans.........

Printed Solid, Oisin and Geof like this.
  18. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I will eventually do some of the mods talked about so much. It's just that right now Lady Luck or whatever is smiling on me and I'm doing just fine running stock.

I joined this forum a week or so after getting my Robo and have been lucky to find whatever I needed to solve any issue I had in the beginning.

I feel bad for the guys that are having trouble. I really do hope you get it all resolved.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  19. Oisin

Oisin Member

Could anyone recommend dual fan shrouds for the E3DV6? I've noticed a low of air blowing backwards out of the fan due to the fan being so strong and the shrouds are usually quite constrictive with regards to airflow. I've already printed some 50mm adapters so I can use 40mm shrouds.

20. danzca6

Here's a pic of my setup. Plenty of room for wires with the IR mounted on the side. The IR mount is one I designed that covers the electronics to keep from any unwanted contact and also helps keep plastic goobers from getting all over it. I am using the stock hex and have a dual fan holder designed by Mike Kelly and works very well.

20161026_181416.jpg