1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Heatbed wont heat up to 50 or 80!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by moelafi, Nov 4, 2016.

1. moelafi

moelafi Member

Hi guys
    Its been about 2 weeks since i last 3d printed something and to day when i wanted to print that nasa wrench i set up everything and pressed print on the mattercontrol app... The head went up to 220 and the printer was waiting for the heatbed to go to 80... It never happened... It got stuck at 0 degree !
    Changed to pla settings and the same happened... Lifted up the heat bed and everything was connected as before
    What might be the problem here ? My printer is new and has only about 50 printing hours on it

If the answer to this question has any technical terms i would be highly greatfull if u try to simplify them.

Thank you

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Take the bottom cover off the printer and make sure the bed connections are secured to the RAMPS board. Might be a loose wire there.

Geof likes this.
  3. moelafi

moelafi Member

Any help with how to take off the bottom part of the printer?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

there are (I think) 6 phillips screws. set the printer on its side and you will see them. When you take the cover off the machine be careful. The wires for the small fan are very short !

danzca6 likes this.
  5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I normally set the printer on the right side. Unscrew the screws Geof mentioned and pull the cover off from the top of the left side of the printer. That way the short fan wires don't come unplugged. If they do, here is a diagram of the RAMPS with the two pins for the fan circled and the red and black wire marked so you don't reverse it.

ramps1-4connectors for cooling fan.png

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. moelafi

moelafi Member

which ramps on the pic are the ones dedicated to the heat bed heating ?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Q3 / D8

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Q3 is the mosfet chip that most typically fails (but will show room temp, but wont heat typically).

Quick question....do you have an R1+?

9. moelafi

moelafi Member

yes i have the r1+
    so i just took off the bottom part easily... found out that the black thing that comes out of the heat bed devides,a part of it goes down to a lower part of the ramp board and the rest of it goes to the upper left side of it where it goes to a green thing and held by screws, i took off the lower wires and put them back then did the same with the upper ones and nothing changed .. i go to matter control press preheat and it wont work

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The large wires with the screws are your ribbon cables (power) the small 2 wires are for the thermistor. Double check to ensure they are landed properly. if you have a digital multimeter you can check the thermistor, if not I'd start with replacing the ramps board. It is a proprietary board that needs bought from Robo or there is a thread to rewire the machine to accept generic ramps boards (if you are not confident with doing the rewiring then you should buy the board from Robo). It is possible the thermistor is bad as well (less likely) which is a whole nother ball game :D. Baby steps.