1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson I am going to try to integrate version 0.3.0 of the Robo LCD plugin for Octoprint in the next release. I just have to remember what the heck the root password was for my Octoprint server.

Allen McAfee has several Git repositories under his name (https://github.com/AllenMcAfee) and is the main contributior for several forks under the name Robo3D (https://github.com/Robo3D).

The critical one for all existing Robo3D Beta/R1/R1+PLUS is the one for the LCD control (https://github.com/Robo3D/RoboLCD_Release).

The filament sensor is generic and nothing special, it too is controlled by the rPi and not the Robo directly, just as I suspected all along.

#821 WheresWaldo, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  2. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If Robo would send me an R2 I can update their firmware to the current RCBugFix, they seem to be way behind on the RC's. It is a good thing they are at least looking at 1.1.0, it is bad that they still don't document their changes.

3. Fierofiend

Fierofiend New Member

I'll admit to being a complete newb to the code/firmware side of things. I've had my r1+ for months and have gone through many KG of filament on anything from 2 minute to 14 hour prints. It took a while to get things dialed in, but as long as I stay within the 'heated' area of the bed, I've been getting very good prints. Is there a big advantage of this new firmware, or is it mainly for the tinkerers, and to have the 'latest and greatest'?

4. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I think it's all part of the overall "illness" or "Tinker's Syndrome". LOL.

I'm very interested and have been following along but, like you, my printer is doing so well I don't want to do any quite yet. I admit I'll probably wait for an official release then wait a little bit for any corrections then go with it then.

I'm a coward I guess LOL.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I highly doubt that Robo will have an 'official' release of Marlin 1.1.0 for the R1. That means if you wait, you will miss out on a better experience with your 'old' printers. I base this on the educated guess that all their focus is on the C2 and R2 and there isn't any indication on their Github repository that they plan anything new for the R1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Oh well. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

7. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Waldo - A question about the instructions to:
    "Re-perform the MESH leveling routine and save the results."

After performing the MESH routine, are results automatically saved to EPROM? Or by "Save the results" do you mean I need to issue a M500 from the Arduino terminal?

8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Always send an M500 after performing MESH probing. The LCD told me it saved it before, but it lied. Best to be safe.

9. Ed Ferguson

..."Always send an M500 after performing MESH probing. The LCD told me it saved it before, but it lied. Best to be safe."

Thanks Dan. Just performed MESH probing and sent M500. Terminal responded with "Settings Stored"

Is there a command to retrieve the values I just entered for the 3x3 grid? I'm curious how uneven the bed is.

10. danzca6

G29 by itself will show your saved MESH settings

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  11. Ed Ferguson

Waldo - Looks like there is a small error in config.h for stock Robo R1+ MESH (Latest Nov 4 firmware)

Autotune bed using M303 E-1 S80 C8
    Error: PID Autotune failed! Bad extruder number

In config.h find line:

//#define PIDTEMPBED

Un-comment the line.

Bed autotune now works :)

12. danzca6

Interesting..PIDTEMPBED is actually commented out in the ROBO flavor firmware files as well.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yeah, most people don't run PIDTEMPBED and it is not defined by default in Marlin. I just left the defaults. You need PID control if you really want to accurately control temperature, which is simply not an issue with the bed. So not technically an error, just a choice.

14. Ed Ferguson

Waldo -
    Then I suggest adding a ROBO-BH comment to this line:
    // FIND YOUR OWN: "M303 E-1 C8 S90" to run autotune on the bed at 90 degreesC for 8 cycles.
    To explain how to enable bed auto-tune, or explain bed auto-tune is normally not needed.
    Might save someone else some time wondering why it doesn't work when they try to "Find your own".

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not my comment! It is the default from Marlin. I only add the --ROBO-BH on lines I actually change.

That is what the Marlin Wiki pages are for.

Geof likes this.
  16. danzca6

Hmmm. The line he referred to has your tag at the end ;)

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

RCBugFix straight from Marlin github
    Code:
      // FIND YOUR OWN: "M303 E-1 C8 S90" to run autotune on the bed at 90 degreesC for 8 cycles.
    You are looking at the line for Extruder and that one is E0 not E-1, I commented the earlier one since I added it for clarity and the Marlin devs removed it some time ago, but the one referred to was untouched. I blame it on their desire to have inconsistant documentation.

But since you pointed out that it is appended to the end, I will change that first one only to the beginning of the comment.

18. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

I gotta say, since this new update and switching from mesh to the bilinear my printer has not failed or messed up one first layer in prolly 15 prints. nylon bridge, pla, cf, metal filled, nothing has phased it... thanks again @WheresWaldo

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  19. Ed Ferguson

Likewise I've been using bilinear Mesh for 3 days and every print has worked first time (stock Robo R1+ with a Smart LCD Controller). I've been dialing in Cura settings at the same time. Using a 10 line brim with blue tape - part adhesion to the bed is almost too good. Thick parts with thin ears that used to warp no longer warp. First layer goes down evenly and sticks every time.

anngeelow81 likes this.
  20. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

Morning! So i finally did the rc7, and am loving the mesh leveling and its just far better than the original firmware, so thanks waldo, and everyone else who's been working on it!. I do have a couple questions though, that i thought maybe you could answer. First, what do you guys set your default accel to? I can only get 500-600 without x/y steppers stalling, (I've done vrefs,belts, friction, etc.) Was starting to wonder if it could be a bad PSU not giving them enough juice as the motors speed up? I did plug in the power block(11a/5a) one pin off where they would have created a short, but quickly fixed that and plugged it in correctly, this was a few months ago. Ideas please? I also swithed to DRV8825, and that didn't help, so I'm going to go back to the A4988's

Also, in the latest release, is UBL activated? Can i utilize the "G29 P" codes? or still have to manually do mesh points like I have been doing? I'd like to do UBL with the endstops hopefully. Also, do you guys suggest a business card or something thinner(paper receipt)?

And last but not least, LCD/TFT ?'s Is there a list somewhere of all the controllers that are able to be defined in marlin now? I was wondering If i could use a touchscreen, like the sainsmart tft like below
    ( http://www.microcenter.com/product/..._for_Arduino_DUE-MEGA2560-R3_and_Raspberry_Pi )

Or are any of these compatible, so i could pick one up at the local micro center?
    http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=arduino+lcd
    -Was looking at the Sainsmart lcd keypad shield
    -sainsmart serial 2004(but i dont see an encoder or button of any sort)
    -16x2 geneica sheild and keypad

Thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light on this please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.