1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Prints slipping on PEI surface

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TexasToon, Nov 9, 2016.

1. TexasToon

TexasToon New Member

After seeing various youtube videos promoting the use of PEI, I bit the bullet and got a sheet of 0.03" PEI from amazon and a sheet of 3M adhesive transfer tape, for the most part its been ok but larger prints are slipping around like Bambi on ice.

I've not altered my temps, I'm printing at 210/50 and I measured the surface temp with a laser thermo gun and its within a degree of 50c, I've not changed any axis offsets either, and I have wiped down the surface of the PEI with isopropanol before prints.

Any recommendations? I've never had so many failed prints, is there a default bed temp I can alter that will fix this before I give up and tear it off and go back to glue sticks again.

Thanks in advance.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

on one of my printers I use pei and occasionally have to take the rough side of a dry sponge to the sheet to "get it sticky" if the print is sticking but not staying stuck then you may want to give some more information such as what material your using, first layer speed, layer height. Also good information would be a picture of your first layer on the PEI sheet... it could be something as simple as a z offset. I will tell you on our robos you can print with just a bit of hairspray directly on the glass bed with no issues ( I do it every day).

3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I would suggest lowering you Z a bit first.

I have great luck with hairspray on the glass.

(close your eyes @Geof ) Also, I've been having wonderful results using rafts. I know it used more material and it takes longer but I can start a print and go to bed and count on a new thing in the morning. Something else to try anyway, good luck.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

rafts are gross

5. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

The formula I've settled on for a good, reliable first layer (using PLA) is:
    3M Blue painters tape, 70 degree bed, 10 line brim, 20mm/s bottom layer speed, bilinear MESH bed leveling (via latest Marlin firmware), no offset required.
    Works first time, every time :)

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

70 degree pla seems crazy hot? Why the painters tape ? Pla under 50 deg with hairspray or glue, no brim and the correct 1st layer is very reliable.

7. Ed Ferguson

Researched bed temperature for PLA and found 70 degrees is not uncommon. I realize many people use a lower temperature. Found that the PLA I'm using was less gummy and easier to clean up in post.
    Painters tape? Because it works for me and I prefer using my scraper against the tape rather than the glass.
    Brim? Because without it I was getting corner warping on thick parts that had thin ears. No more warping.
    Everyone has their recipe for success, and after quite a bit of experimentation and research, I'm simply sharing mine.

Geof likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just to throw this in there :)
    Warping is (regardless of filament type) due to heat management.
    So less is always better.

I also used to print on painters tape. Swore by it.
    It is my go-to suggestion for people just getting started. If you ever want to you can tweak it away with persistence.

Geof likes this.
  9. Ed Ferguson

Mark -
    The settings I'm currently using are not causing warping. The higher bed temp has really helped me to achieve a good bond to the bed. For that reason I plan to experiment with the Cura "Tweak at Z" plugin to print the first few layers at the higher bed temperature, then reduce the temperature for the remainder of the print.

I also notice the outer areas of the bed seem cooler than the center area. If the bed heat was more evenly distributed, I would use a lower heat to begin. I'll get out my K thermocouple probe and see what the temperature fall off is after a 10 minute warm-up.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, the bed is hotter at the center. Nature of the printer and the heater pad they chose. There are alternatives if you want to replace it.
    Yes, you can safely reduce temperatures as the model goes up if the only reason you are using heat is for adhesion.

Most can get good adhesion on bare glass if you can get the first layer dialed in, but if not heat will absolutely help.

As for warping, PLA (as an example) does not warp normally, but I can reliably make it warp if I adjust the heat. The hotter I run the bed the more it will want to warp. Warp is all about the plastic cooling at different rates. You might want experiment is all :)

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

A consequence of using an 8.2" square heater on an advertised 10" x 9" print bed made out of borosilicate glass (better heat insulator than heat conductor).

I also use a bit of heat along with PLA, my settings are about 50°C for bed heat.

Ed Ferguson and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. TexasToon

TexasToon New Member

for an improvement that was supposed to be time saving, I'm seriously a hair's breadth from taking it off and going back to glue or trying hairspray.

13. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I've had no problem with hairspray. Just make sure to use a piece of paper to shield the rest of the printer from overspray as much as possible. And you don't need a whole lot. Just a nice even coat will do you. I use the Aqua Net Super duper 80's rock hair band hairspray.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. TexasToon

TexasToon New Member

whats the clean up with using Hairspray? wipe down the bed with Windex after each print session?

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

wipe down with windex .... or a warm damp towel....at some point. I will run all night on one layer of hairspray :D then the next day add a little so I feel good about it then run again....I clean and do maintenance on Fridays. not a rule just what I do.

danzca6 likes this.
  16. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I agree with @Geof. No need to clean each print. Depending on the print size of the print, I may not even apply any for the next. If you are a heavy printing user like Geof, the once a week sounds right. Or else every other week or so. Just don't want it to build up too much and start throwing off z offsets and such. Damp cloth probably is best. Also don't want windex or simple green on you rmetal parts.

17. TexasToon

TexasToon New Member

one observation is that my failures seem to be exclusively with with support structures, any recommendations on how I can improve their adherence to the PEI?

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I do my best to not print with supports, but depending on your slicer you may have some settings that can be tweaked (I use simplify 3d and there are some support structure settings).

19. TexasToon

TexasToon New Member

I always try my best to orientate my prints on the bed to minimize them but I presume there are times when they are unavoidable? so far as a total newb I'm only using MatterControl.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I havent used Matter Control is so long that I'm not sure what settings are there or not there anymore. My immediate thought is to lower the z offset a bit more to get a better squish. Have you done the rough side of a sponge on the PEI then cleaned with 91% alcohal ?