1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Prints slipping on PEI surface

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TexasToon, Nov 9, 2016.

1. TexasToon

TexasToon New Member

I haven't done the sponge scrub thing yet, whats the thinking behind that? does it rough the surface to provide key for adherence? but yes I'm wiping with alcohol prior to printing

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can always default to a raft*. That gives the supports something solid to bind to at the base.
    You may also need to slow down the print speed.

*and I hate rafts, but this is one case where they may be useful

Rigmarol likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the rough side of the sponge is direction from my MK2 kit. I'm not sure exactly what it removes from the PEI sheet but it works very well.

I hate rafts lol

4. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Rafts are your friend... well, it's working for me LOL.

Another suggestion is, depending on the model, using software to edit the model so it is split into parts and glued together afterwards. I don't like doing this myself but I have a couple of projects where it will be very useful,

(BTW, I'm not disagreeing with you guys, just some good natured ribbing)

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Rigmarol think of all the extra prints you could do with each spool without the raft :D. On my end its added cost per print that I dont like :D oh and removing them....I hate that. lol

6. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Cost is minimal IMHO. Most of my prints get gifted to friends and family anyway.
    I've had one person at work ask me "how much" for a D&D warrior figure. Cura says it cost me $1.10 for the two I made for him. Seemed unfriendly to charge him so I just gave them to him like all the others. But it was nice that he offered to buy them.

I have a chip in my print bed too and rafting makes the chip a non issue so I like that too.

As for taking the print off the raft I have never had any issues. Peels off with little effort.

I'm doing fine for the time being.

Isn't so very interesting that so many tinkerers can have such widely different experiences with the same equipment?

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol in my experience i do most things the hard way haha. Ive always accepted thats why im different than most haha

Rigmarol likes this.
  8. TexasToon

TexasToon New Member

Call me a quitter but I took it off (wow did it put up a fight) I had yet another failed print due to lifting, its a nice idea but in practice evidently I'm just replacing one form of preparation with another.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

:D its always a give and take until you find what works for you :D