1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@TRAVIS KEMP
    1. Did you try testing the output of your stepper drivers? A bit more power might make it work better, within reason.
    2. This is not UBL. UBL is based on an older RC and until Roxy3D has it up and running well and the Marlin guys release 1.1.0, she has no intention of porting the code to the latest Marlin. I use a piece of wax paper to set the level. like the backing for a self stick anything.
    3. Controller needs to be RAMPS compatible, you simply can't use anything like you have suggested. Besides the one you linked to would need to be driven by the Arduino, and the Arduino is busy with the RAMPS.
    4. Nothing on that page will work, see my comment above.
    Why not think about how Robo is controlling the C2/R2, it adds an rPi/OctoPrint/Touchscreen UI. I am currently trying to figure out how to duplicate this in another thread.

With OctoPrint control you might use something like this:
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/460968/Raspberry_Pi_3_Model_B
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/456310/PiTFT_Plus_480x320_35_TFTTouchscreen_for_Raspberry_Pi
    Optionally this
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/463611/8MP_Raspberry_Pi_Camera_Module

They are usually all in stock in the DIY section of MicroCenter (I wish I had one here).

#841 WheresWaldo, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

Awesome, thanks for the fast response! Very much appreciated! I'l probably just order a full graphics. Also, I'm currently running the PSU at 13.8v and I've done multiple different settings for vref, 300-800 and still does the same stuff on anything over 550accel. This still occurs even with no load(belts removed) so it is not weight/friction/etc.The only thing that has changed since this started was me accidentally plugging the power plug in one pin off, and shorted a steppeer driver when doing vref, but that has been replaced with the drv8825s, and now im going to leave the 8825s on the Z's and the a4988 on the rest. So im just wondering if it could be something to do with the PSU, or mega maybe? idk, i even put in a new sainsmart ramps board. I used to be able to use 900accel and it ran great. not that it maks that much of a difference but it eemed to help with print times and stringing etc. Is it possible that there is something wrong with the two steppers? (i already replaced the y with a lulzbot one with higher torque) how could i test how much power etc is actually going to the motor when this happens? or what would be the best way to narrow down this issue? I even have a second psu running the bed, constant fans and LED lights. So the internal psu just runs the mechanics of the printer.

3. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

I also have two high cfm 40mm fans blowing on the board from the from of the case, with holes cut in the front, and some vent holes drilled all around the board area, a fan on the x and y steppers(Universal heatsinked/thermal pasted fans) as well as one fan on the top extracting the hot air out of the base, its also sat up on about 1" of custom vibration dampening feet, so they stay cool

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I don't have any ideas for you. You will need to use the process of elimination to figure out what is causing the problem.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have the accel set on both robos to a rather low number: 300
    The stock numbers were a bit silly (IMHO) and reducing the numbers only made the prints better.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the files as of November 15, 2016. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. Some obvious changes from previous RCBugFix versions and RC7 include multiple types of automatic bed leveling; 3POINT uses an arbitrary 3 points on the bed, LINEAR probes several points in a grid pattern, good for beds that only have a tilt in one plane (the original default option), BILINEAR probes several points in a grid pattern, good for large and/or uneven beds. I chose to enable BILINEAR with these configurations. Also of note in this release is the use of new Speed and Jerk code used by Josef Prusa in his new Mk2 printer. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_ABL_5-16_11-15 for Robo R1 with 5/16" threaded rod Z-Axis
      RCBF_ABL_8mm_11-15 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_ABL_PLUS_11-15 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_ABL_R1-TR8_11-15 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.6.12 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 support is not supported in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Automatic Bed Leveling enabled w/9 probe points (3 x 3 grid)
    5. BILINEAR bed leveling enabled as default
    6. New code for Speed and Jerk routines
    7. SD Card support
    8. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    9. Babystepping enabled
    10. Encoder reversed
    11. Encoder beeps
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together.

Attached Files:

#846 WheresWaldo, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    anngeelow81 and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are all files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RCBugFix, as of November 15, 2016 on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. New code from Josef Prusa improving Speed and Jerk routines. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_MESH_5-16_11-15 for Original Robo printers with 5/16" threaded rods
      RCBF_MESH_8mm_11-15 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_MESH_PLUS_11-15 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_MESH_R1-TR8_11-15 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.6.12 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-perform the MESH leveling routine and save the results.
    5. (Optional) Re-enter you Z axis offset, if needed, using G29 S4 Zn.nn where n.nn is a positive number to move further from the bed and negative to move closer. M565 support is not included in this version. This affects the entire mesh, so you usually do not need Z offset at all.
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. MESH Bed Leveling enabled w/16 probe points (4 x 4 grid)
    5. MESH Bed Leveling menu enabled
    6. New code for Speed and Jerk routines
    7. SD Card support
    8. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    9. Babystepping enabled
    10. Encoder reversed
    11. Encoder beeps
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Notice anything that changed with this version?

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There are some optimizations in the ISR (interrupt service routine, where the magic happens) so it might be fractions of a second faster. I also think they optimized some of the LCD stuff so it won't update if there are a ton of short moves. Makes printing smoother but LCD a bit more choppy.

#849 WheresWaldo, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  10. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

Any of the conductive sensor guys have pics and of where you mounted the sensor? Not really finding a solid set up. And do you adjust your prob area? I leave mine at 0, and variation and its thrown all outta whack

11. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

need some quick help. got a graphic lcd today, i had originally disabled the lcd on marlin rc7(because i didnt have one then) but now its saying compile error, and i have no idea what all else i had to comment out to disable it, so can anyone tel me what i need to do to get this to compile, its saying error compiling after enabling DOGlcd and reprapworld controller...u8glib error?

12. danzca6

The line below is the only line you need to uncomment. You then need to read the line directly above it stating you need to install the U8glib library. They give the URL on that line.

#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

13. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

so i got it to compile, but i plugged in the controller and the backlight just lights up, not text or images or anything?

14. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

i converted my company logo to a dec layout, got the numbers, placed it in the startbmp location and thats it, thats the only thing i have done, not sure why i would get the backlight but no graphics

15. danzca6

Hold off on being fancy until you get the LCD working. There might be an issue with a flipped wire or there is a contrast adjustment pot on the LCD that might need to be turned up.

16. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

:printer halted. kill() called! this is what i am getting, only when it is plugged into the ramps board, im getting that on s3d, and when looking at the screen on the lcd, i can barely kind of see it read halted, have to look at an angle and couldnt even see it with a camera. any ideas? short somewhere obviously?, i turned the pot, no avail, and i heard there was a pot on the back too that you can't get to

17. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

So this doesnt make any sense, just for the hell of it i tried the config for reprapworld lcd, and it didnt throw the printer halted code, but at the same time it didnt give me any opening stuff on the screen(i did get the screen to work, but keep getting the printer halted before i can do anything)

18. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

I think this could be firmware related. I changed my board from the robo ramps to a sainsmart ramps a while back, and just recently started with rc7, I'm gonna start from scratch with a new bugfix zip and try it. I'm thinking the pins are differently defined. even just with the smart adapter plugged in it throws this code, with no lcd attached, and if i take it off, it doesnt fault. Does anyone know what Motherboard i should be using with this? i noticed they have the 43 and 33 board now, but robo is not on 43, should this board be on 33, and also as soon as i tried to change motherboard defines, it gave a ton of errors, can someone help? ive tried typing the board name in 100 different ways, think i hit a bug, wont let me change motherboards!

19. TRAVIS KEMP

TRAVIS KEMP Member

Also, since changing to the sainsmart ramps board(by ultimachine) i also had to define dual z steppers, but noticed that factory code/board, has this commented out, this has led me to believe that there are other differences in these boards. Just wanted to make sure, that if i go back to a robo board and try the lcd, i should leave the dual z commented out, correct? Why is that? just curious, but from the looks of it, it seems that the stepper outputs are just labeled differently on the separate boards (E1/Z1) if they ran parallel, i wouldnt think it could utilize two motors? Let me know you thoughts on this please!

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id recommend starting a new thread for your issue but i can verify there is no firmware change between the r1+ and a generic board. Id recomend a different brand ramps. Ive never encountered a generic ramps board done differently than all the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.