1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Z-axis wont home, but works when commanded

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Srmofo, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Srmofo

Srmofo New Member

Ive had some recent issues with my y axis pulley. I didn't unplug anything other than the y-axis stepper. After putting it back together my Z-axis wont home.

X and Y both home correctly.

I can jog Z with the controls.

In Simplify3D
    When I hit home it just zeros out the location and no movement.

In Matter control:
    When I hit home it zeros, and then every subsequent time it decrements by1.2, still with no movement.

With both software I can drive the carriage into the bed and it will keep going even after hitting the stop switches.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit I should add that this is a R1+

#1 Srmofo, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, you can manually drive any axis beyond the endstops. That is just the way the firmware and software are.

If the Z will not behave correctly it is always the Limit switches. One or both of them is out of position. Sanity check that they are positioned correctly.

Dig through this thread as I think he has some stuff on the Z axis switches:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/helpful-videos-novice-expert.7478/

it may be in the Autoleveling video.

3. Srmofo

Srmofo New Member

I just did a quick M119 and the limit switches appear to be working correctly. All show open, When I lift the carriage with my hand Z shows triggered. I will keep searching.

4. Srmofo

Srmofo New Member

I don't believe what I have is a limit switch problem...I think I may have figured it out though.

I tried running the G29 auto level command just to see what would happen. I received an error about something along the lines of "X and Y need to home first."

I homed X, I homed Y and then tried homing Z. Still nothing. I then tried the G29 command again and it worked. It ran through the entire auto level procedure. I can now hit Z home and the head will return home.

I have no idea what caused this or what the issue is but for now I think it is resolved. Once I get my replacement parts this week I will run a print and update this thread if it is truly fixed.

mark tomlinson likes this.