1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Stopped printing from SD card

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jhenager1, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

Yesterday, I went to print the final part of a 31 piece assembly, and noticed it did not start heating up the bed after 4 seconds like it has been doing for months. After doing a bunch of troubleshooting and trying different SD cards, I saw that the light on the card reader goes out just about the time the bed would start heating I never noticed it going out before, either.
    The strange thing is, it will print using USB ok. I think there is also a red light flashing in there that wasn't there before.
    Do I need a new Arduino board? If so, what board should I get?
    Thanks in advance.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Stock card reader?

It could be the card reader itself. That is a tiny little add-on that connects to the RAMPS.

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

#3 danzca6, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

Yes, this is the stock card reader. I do have an LCD that I might try to setup. Thanks.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

???

6. danzca6

??? is that you wondering what the answer to those questions were or just confused be what I said? Sometimes...I confuse myself with trying to type on my phone.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Id like to know if the bed heats over usb as well

8. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

Yes, bed and extruder heat up fine, and am printing a part right now. SD card reader just quits after about 1-2 seconds. I also noticed I have nothing but red lights now coming from the Arduino during print. Never saw that before that I can remember.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That sounds normal (the red lights). I removed my sd reader and installed the lcd controller long ago, id suggest giving that a go

10. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

Hey, thanks for the advice. I really do plan on giving the LCD controller another go, but right now, I need to keep printing. What I did was remove the bottom, disconnect the built in reader, reconnected it, and put it back together. I have no idea how that fixed it but it is printing from the SD card again, red lights and all.
    I have a cheap Chinese delta printer ordered, and I just can't be without a printer until I get that one going. Until then, I'm going to make no changes.
    After that, I'm replacing the entire extruder assembly and installing the LCD. Thanks for the support.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You get the xxl ?

12. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

Yes.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So the xxl is literally plug and play :) next time your sd acts silly unplug it and plug in your lcd and your off to the races :)

14. danzca6

Lots easier than the of starting off the print with the SD reader on the printer and you can change speed, temp, and such on the fly. So many features added with an LCD. Enjoy!

15. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

16. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

It might be bad form to reply to myself on a Solved thread but I am so excited that I got the strange problem figured out and then got brave in installed the LCD controller and it is working. I found a couple of wires on the RAMPs that looked a little toasty, and removed them and cut off the burnt ends and stripped about 5-10mm of insulation from them and twisted them back together and reconnected. Now I no longer get the flickering LED lights and the heatbed seems to be reliable once again. So, having a small bit of confidence I knew what I was doing, unplugged that funky original SD card reader (which is barely functional in the first place) and installed my $15 LCD panel. Printing right now, and I am so proud of myself!!!! Thanks to all that offered advice.
    Jeff

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Great job! Glad to hear you got her fixed up.

18. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

I have a newed appreciation for the Robo after struggling with the knockoff Kossel I got. They are sending me another mainboard, but compared to assembling, installing software, calibrating and dealing with a failed board, the Robo is a slam dunk. I'm glad I tried this one first; otherwise, I might have not been able to hang in there. The LDC upgrade is very well worth it. Now that I have a UPS connected, Windows can give me a disk read error or reboot in the middle of a 4 hour print job, and I'll never notice. I just have to adjust the contrast so it is easier to read, and I'll be done. For the weekend. You know what they say- the only way to finish a program is to shoot the programmer.

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Struggling with a delta myself. I feel your pain :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.